FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

InventHelp.com Scam article

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

You will want to read this post about InventHelp.com and their success rate versus how many people actually made more on their invention than they paid Invent Help. It will open your eyes to how off balance the scales are in favor of the invention submission company and not the Inventor. As always beware and do your homework before using any invention submission company. They are not all scams, but there are a larger number of scam companies than those actually helping the Inventor
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2008/01/10/be ... -releases/ This article below was written by Gene Quinn:

(Summary of article original posted on http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2008/01/10/be ... -releases/ )

Mr. Quinn discussed in his article that on January 9, 2007, InventHelp issued a press release for one of it’s client highlighting the success of their client’s invention. Mr. Quinn asserts that InventHelp issues such press releases to support their marketing efforts. He claims “Unfortunately, InventHelp® is one of the more notorious of invention submission scams.”

Mr. Quinn then explains that InventHelp® is a trademark owned by Invention Submission Corporation and the owners have repeatedly been the subject of complaints from inventors “who were mislead and taken advantage of…”

Mr. Quinn then points to certain marketing statements provided on InventHelp.com that “From 2003 to 2005, we signed submission agreements with 6,592 clients. As a result of our services, … and 15 clients have received more money than they paid us ….”

Then, Mr. Quinn analyzes the facts presented on InventHelp.com and says “ Just look at these numbers - 15 out of 6,592 clients made more money than they paid! Those are not good odds at all...”

Mr. Quinn then explains in the article that “there are many reputable companies and law firms that operate in the invention arena, but those who claim to both do patent and marketing tend to be scams.” He then goes to caution that before an inventor considers working with any company that claims it can help you with both patenting and marketing your invention be cautious and do your research.

Please note that the copy of the original article published on IPWatchDog.com at http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2008/01/10/be ... -releases/ posted by Mr. Brown on January 14, 2008 has been removed by the moderators from our site.

Our site received a notice from the lawyers for Mr. Quinn, owner and CEO of IPWatchDog, Inc., raising concerns about potential copyright infringement. The concern was that our site has “reproduced the entirety of an article” originally posted by IP WatchDog Inc.

Our site typically would address such copyright infringement concerns by removing any copied material from the forum post, linking to the original article and directing readers to read the article on the originating site. Unfortunately, we are unable to do that as the original article has been removed from the originating source. So in place of the copied article, a summary has been provided below by the moderator (with key quotes from the original article highlighted) in order to maintain the integrity and usability of the discussions on our site commenting on and critiquing the original post.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Bad Results for Inventor Firms like Absolutelynew and IP&

Postby mitchcornsby » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:07 am

mitchcornsby
White Belt

Hello,

I have to back up what you say about inventor firm results. I actually was at a high managerial level working at one of these invention promotion firms. They are crooked and they don't get results. Not everybody in the firm has bad intentions, but in general there is a very low chance your invention or idea or product will ever make it to the market.

Their name was Inventors Publishing and Research (IP&R or ip&R) in San Francisco. They actually had so much bad press that they changed their name to Absolutelynew Inc.. They take money in exhange for invention services. They are backed by another crooked venture capital company called Artiman Ventures.

Be careful.

-M

Re: InventHelp.com Scam article

Postby tat-man » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:30 am

tat-man
White Belt

Ive been going through inventhelp less than a year, I just had an interview with a major plastics co yesterday who seems to love my invention. I under stand that most inventions dont go no wear . but there job is to try and make your idea protected and present it to the market. if the market dont want it then thats the way it is. they dont deside if your idea is good or not. they never guaronteed it would sell or even that a company would pick it up. only that they would help me protect it and try to find a comp. that might be intrested in it. no guaron tee. Im more than happy with the job they are dioing.of course I have a good invention.

Postby inventor-x » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:09 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

You need to do a better job with your spelling if you want to pump up the volume :shock:

Postby PennyB » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:29 pm

PennyB
Green Belt

Tat-Man wrote:

1. I’ve been going through inventhelp less than a year, I just had an interview with a major plastics co yesterday who seems to love my invention.

a) Loving your invention and securing a licensing deal are world’s apart assuming it is a potential licensee as opposed to a contract manufacturer whom they contacted? Why not get the same names plus more for free via www.thomasregister.net - - and just think, it won't cost you a nickel. What they do and all invention submission companies is to identify the SIC (Standard Industrial Code) for the product enter it into free online databases and viola! companies spring forth in the hundreds. You can do that for free!

2. I under stand that most inventions dont go no wear . but there job is to try and make your idea protected and present it to the market.

a) Firstly “they” protect nothing as they are not attorneys. Secondly, my money says of all the companies they allegedly sent your product info to, most were returned to them non-deliverable or not interested or they heard nothing from them. But of course you wouldn’t find that out.
b) Their definition of “market” and the actual market your product category fits into are likely miles apart as compared to the companies your invention info was spammed to via a press release and emails. So what is the SIC or NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) code for your invention? Do you even know? How about asking them then compare/contrast to see if they got it right. You then find lots of free online databases to enter that/those numbers into and you’re off-and-running identifying contacts in your product’s category of which there will likely be an un-ending number based on databases you find allowing you to search for free.

3. … if the market dont want it then thats the way it is. they dont deside if your idea is good or not

a) Who says that is the way it always is? Certainly not you as you’re obviously no expert. It could have been a misidentified market (wrong category) and/or companies contacted were not pre-qualified (do not accept outside invention submissions). There are many other reasons products do not secure shelf space.

4. they never guaronteed it would sell or even that a company would pick it up. only that they would help me protect it and try to find a comp. that might be intrested in it. no guaron tee.

a) Then that is exactly what you’ll get for the thousands you paid them. Just think, had you burned a little midnight oil you could have accomplished the same result for yourself. On the other hand I take that back since you write in an illiterate fashion which really is not important except if one speaks that way too. Why? Directly contacting entities whom one hopes will invest millions it is more likely that not they would be turned-off by your presentation if you speak as you write. Nevertheless, it probably wasn’t a bad decision to throw your money down the drain. The problem is as I personally see it, it was the wrong drain. There are numerous marketing companies who have no upfront fees.

5. Im more than happy with the job they are dioing.

a) Yep, just bet you are. The job they are doing is irrelevant and frankly it's all talk. Keep your eye on the target not the number of times the bow's string is pulled back. You're after one or more signed deals. Until one or more is/are secured it's all talk and not secured shelf space. Until it's on the shelf it's all bull.

6. of course I have a good invention.

a) Name one inventor who vehemently states he/she has a lousy invention? Duh!

P :roll:

Re: Bad Results for Inventor Firms like Absolutelynew and IP&

Postby PennyB » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:37 pm

PennyB
Green Belt

mitchcornsby wrote:Hello,

I have to back up what you say about inventor firm results. I actually was at a high managerial level working at one of these invention promotion firms. They are crooked and they don't get results. Not everybody in the firm has bad intentions, but in general there is a very low chance your invention or idea or product will ever make it to the market.Their name was Inventors Publishing and Research (IP&R or ip&R) in San Francisco. They actually had so much bad press that they changed their name to Absolutelynew Inc.. They take money in exhange for invention services. They are backed by another crooked venture capital company called Artiman Ventures.
Be careful.
-M

========================================================================
Hi Mitch,

Are you available for a phone interview per chance? I'd like to speak with you if you have have any evidence supporting your claim re Artiman. Noted they heldover from IP&R Richard Donat making him CEO of A.N. I've a few missing research gaps from those days I'd like to get filled in.

Regards,
Penny Ballou

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:55 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Hi Penny,

Good to see you are still hanging in there. It is amazing to me how well these rip off companies are doing when all an Inventor has to do is look on this forum and they will find out enough information to make an informed decision. It definitely seems we have an uphill battle against Inventors that just want to throw cash at the first invention submission company that comes along and says "open your wallet and we will do it all for you. We don't care if your invention will never see a store shelf. We just want to empty your bank account."
Last edited by Roger Brown on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PennyB » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:45 am

PennyB
Green Belt

Mornin' Roger!

At least the tat-man made it here so we know his fingers can do the walking although likely worn-out upon arrival. One key word is "lazyness" (mental) as in, throw money at X and let them babysit and take care of one's first born. As to checking sitter references; it takes too much energy hence "toss money at 'em" and they'll do right (hopefully). Tat-Man's eye is not on "the ball" as are all inventors who use they outfits. He should hourly be asking himself while looking at the date he first paid them: is my invention licensed AND on a shelf or is not? What excuses are they giving me for it not being on a shelf NOW. Tat-Man's excuse? Guess the market isn't ready for it! Talk about a lame duck excuse - isn't that why he paid the invention company? Didn't they tell him or imply the market is ready for it by taking his money? If the market was not ready why in round two (2) did they ask for the big bucks!? He's not pointing the finger at the invention company but at the market for God's sake. Talk about a wrong "Why" namely one he cannot control. What can he control? The invention company by demanding they change their course of attack if it's getting his invention no where other than he being in receipt of mounds of emails, letters, and phone calls indicating how busy they are "trying" to get his invention accepted by the marketplace. Yeah, right! :evil:

One look at their (invention company) numbers (# licensed as opposed to paid for services or inventors receiving back more than they paid) should give any fool a simple answer as to babysitting references. In this particular company's case - they even post their lousy stats per the AIPA. So who gets the Duhhh??!!?? The inventor or the invention submission company?

As mentioned, there are several free companies and persons willing to take worthwhile projects on at no upfront cost (as you know). A few charge $100-$250 in "evaluation" fees. How many of those are accredited and/or have personal experience working/designing or have engineering degrees is another issue. They all appear to believe they are qualified to evaluate "anything." Most these goons hail from sales/telemarketing backgrounds - out to make a quick buck in my personal opinion.

There is no meaningful solution for these outfits because it rests with inventors and they have closed ears and open pocketbooks.

You take care now Roger.

P

Postby Roger Brown » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Well said Penny. Don't forget my favorite saying " Just because it is patentable does not make it marketable." I can patent sneakers that also dispenses toliet paper, who is going to stand in line to buy that one?

Postby PennyB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:36 pm

PennyB
Green Belt

Just have to tell you Roger,

Talking about invention companies as this topic is, a legal associate of mine called me a couple of hours back - he put the screws to Davison and believe it or not he got back $5,500 for one of his clients in the last few days. Miracles never cease. This amount represents a bonanza for the inventor as the norm is between $200 and $400 if one gets anything as these types of companies have well-written (for the company) contracts which now days leave little if any wiggle room. This guy is a hawk!

He's now working on another one of these outfits with a great plan to which he is turning the screws since it's the second time he's had to contact them. They put their attorney onto him and we are both having fun laughing at how their whistle is being cleaned for the second time (two inventors). I smell a bigger settlement in the making (interestingly this outfit is full of former employees of a very, very big former scam company now closed down).

That's the problem when we have an attorney (different from the above) who writes patents for these outfits of which my research shows 90% of his are Design patents. Like lined-up cherries on a slot machine his number will shortly appear. I'm working a list of his clients finding one after the other who wondered why they were only issued Design patents each understanding they could apply for Utility patents after manufacturing details worked-out. I smell another patent office Exclusion Order on the horizon for this slippery reptile.

Having Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (since I'm seeing results!)

P
Next