FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Re: "That's One Small Step for Man, One Giant Sleep for Mankind"

Postby Derek Pater » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

These You-Tube Links are great!

Have a Look at all the other Links Attached!

http://mashable.com/2009/07/19/apollo-11-moon-mission/

:D :D

I found these Comments on the above link down the page

7/20/09: Twenty four people on our planet belong to a very exclusive club. Out of the over 6 billion people on planet earth, only a handful have actually walked on the moon. Growing up in the beginning of the space race, I remember news of space accomplishments being a big deal. We gathered around the television or radio to listen as a capsule rocketed into space, in the beginning lasting for just a few minutes, and watched as the early returning astronauts were fished out of the ocean, their capsules bobbing around the waves waiting to be retrieved. When Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to actually walked onto the moon's surface on July 20th, 1969, I was glued to the television set. Seeing black and white television transmission of Armstrong walking down the ladder of the space craft and placing his feet onto the surface of the moon-how cool was that? I remember the returning Apollo 11 mission and the astronauts being interviewed inside a tiny container. Was it safe? Did they carry any moon bacteria? It would take 21 days before the Apollo astronauts would be released from their confinement-safe to rejoin their fellow earthlings. Today, astronauts walk off the shuttle as if they just came back from a trip from New York to California! I remember the first time the space shuttle actually landed, like an jet plane. A fellow teacher and I watched during our prep period as the historic event was televised. We held our breaths as we worried whether it would be a successful landing and cheered at another successful step in our country's space program. Today, sadly, I think most of the world has lost the "wow" factor when it comes to space. Astronauts go up to the International Space Station with little news coverage and when actual televised space walks and/ or interviews are done from the station or the space shuttles, how many people, young and old, actually watch?(Did you know that there are currently 13 astronauts at the ISS this week?) I wanted to take this opportunity on the 40th anniversary of the first men to walk on the moon, to say... Remarkable accomplishment by all those men and women who heeded President John K. Kennedy's 1961 national goal to land a man on the moon by the end of that decade. Thank you, for the awe factor you gave my generation about the tremendous possibilities people can accomplish when they set out to achieve a goal. Tonight when you gaze up at the moon, think of those footprints left behind by those amazingly brave astronauts!
Previous