FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Importing products from China

Postby apapage » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:59 pm

apapage
Green Belt

This is the situation. I have a client here that wants to import a product from China. He asked about import restrictions/requirements. Does anyone have any experience importing products from China? I know that a Customs Broker is required to bring the products in. Any other requirements? Any requirements in China? Thanks in advance.

Re: Importing products from China

Postby Derek Pater » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

Talk to Jack,
He should put you in the right direction.

:D :D

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:03 pm

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

Postby jackbnimble56 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:07 am

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Apapage

I have imported from China but that doesn't make me an authority. I can only tell you what my experience has been thus far. The quotes I get from manufacturers over there are always FOB quotes, which means "Freight on Board". Basically what that means is the cost to get the product made and get on board whatever means will be used to transport it, typically a plane or a ship. It's then your responsibility to get it from there to your destination and that includes things like customs duties, any applicable taxes, freight forwarding, etc. Occasionally a manufacturer may offer to undervalue and invoice so that the recipient will pay less in taxes and duties while still paying the true value of the invoice. Obviously, this sort of thing is done with a wink and a nod.

My silicone supplier simply ships the product via DHL, which gives them a good rate for door-to-door service and includes all the customs clearance, etc. I simply reimburse them for that cost as part of my total cost for the product, i.e. they simply build that into the quote. If you can a manufacturer to do that, it will make your job much easier. The alternative is to locate your own customs broker/freight forwarder. Ideally, if you're going that route you want the same people doing both as opposed to have one person handling customs and the other forwarding the freight because the less hands involved, the complicated the process which will likely save you some cost. If your manufacturer cannot or will not include those services as part of their quote you will need to locate those people yourselves which isn't all that hard depending on where you live. I live right in the Boston area and there are literally dozens of customs brokers here because Boston is a major port. I have no idea how it might work if you live in a place like Lawrence Kansas.

I'm still very much in the middle of learning this whole process myself. As I type this, I have a broker/forwarder from Go Global Logistics working to bring in a shipment of plastic clamshells from another Chinese manufacturer. I simply had the two of them put their heads together on the logistics and I'm still waiting for a cost number from the person at Go Global. Does that make me a little anxious, you bet! The Chinese manufacturer has already been paid! (BTW, you don't just cut a check to pay for your goods over there but rather, they all seem to require an electronic funds transfer for payment.) All I have to go on from the broker/forwarder right now is a very rough estimate I was given when I first made contact with Go Global. I'm not even sure yet if the goods are coming by air or by sea. The latter is much less expensive but takes much longer, as much as 4 weeks or more so you'll have factor in those sorts of things as well. Ideally, if you can get the manufacturer to quote you for a door-to-door shipment your life will be easier but don't expect them all to be willing to do that. They may not want to have responsibility for your product once they get it on board whatever vessel will be transporting it. I should also mention that when I get my silicone delivered from DHL the box looks as though it's been through an earthquake. It comes in REALLY beat up condition but since the contents are in no way fragile, it's not a problem. However, my plastic clamshells could never take that abuse without a high percentage of losses.

I hope haven't muddied the waters too much with my rambling explanation of the process. In order to not take up additional space on this board you can e-mail me directly at nimblejack@beld.net if you have additional questions. I'll do the best I can to help you with the caveat that Im am by no means an expect at this!

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby Derek Pater » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:22 am

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

Postby apapage » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:55 pm

apapage
Green Belt

Thanks everyone.

I'm a supplier from China

Postby linkwhere » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 am

linkwhere
White Belt

Actually,it is easy to import products from China,even you are just newbie.As what you need to do is just to find a right supplier from China ,and they will help you to deal with the rest things during the whole import process.
If someone want to purchase HDMI connector,DVI connector ,USB connetor and cables,welcome here :www.linkwhere.com.We will also have a platform to help you to find other electronic products you required.

Postby edenfantasia » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 am

edenfantasia
White Belt

apapage wrote:This is the situation. I have a client here that wants to import a product from China. He asked about import restrictions/requirements. Does anyone have any experience importing products from China? I know that a Customs Broker is required to bring the products in. Any other requirements? Any requirements in China? Thanks in advance.

import product from china, it is very easy to process,
you only ask the supplier quote you the FOB PRICE,OR CIF PRICE,AND THEN,YOU ONLY NEED TO PAY THE DEPOSITE AND BALANCE, IT OK,AND THEN THE SUPPLIER HELP YOU ARRANGE YOUR GOODS SEND TO YOUR DESTINATION PORT.

WE ARE THE EXPORT FACTORY,
Wholesale Sex Toys, Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters China Edenfantaisa Industry Co.,Ltd
If you are interested in the adult commodity, or sex toy field, pls kindly send your request to email: edenfantasia@yahoo.cn

Best regards
Jim---- Sale Department
China Edenfantasia Industry Co,Ltd
E-mail: edenfantasia@yahoo.cn
SKYPE ID: EdenFantasia
MSN ID: EdenFantasia@hotmail.com
YAHOO ID: EdenFantasia@yahoo.cn