FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Keys Invention Sell License Agreement in Asia

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:53 am

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

Keys to the Invention Sell License Agreement in Asia:

Fast mover: The Invention that can be licensed within 4-6 weeks

Mid Speed: The Invention that takes 6-12 weeks to License

The Sleeper: The Large Investment invention 12-52 weeks one year max (I have one that could go past that to 2 years but it is a 5 Million dollar Investment)

As an Experienced Inventor it will easy to tell when you have the fast mover because you the Inventor will in some cases are chased by the Manufacture for a License Agreement
The problem with the fast mover it can go from very well to bad quickly because the Manufacture is impatient and wants the License done yesterday.
The Mid Speed Inventions will be easier for most Inventors to manage the process of moving forward with contracts, keep this in mind, I have contracts that I have signed from Taiwan Manufactures and contracts that have been made here in Australia, and so you need to be flexible depending on the company.
My aim is for a fair and reasonable contract for all parties, and no totally one sided; remember that word “FAIR AND REASONABLE” from what I have seen it is either all in the Manufactures favour or the Inventor which is rare.

The Sleepers: In most case are large Investment Inventions like from $500,000- to $5,000,000- Investment in tooling and Patents for the Manufacture.
Currently I have about 3 sleepers Inventions from clients and at least 2 are starting to wake up.
My Goal with the Sleepers is to get them in the Head Office of the Manufacture and shipped to them, I have this one which has been with a Taiwan Manufacture in their Head Office for 16 weeks and I should begin either negotiation at 36 weeks or they are not Interested and I will have to organise for it to go to another Taiwan Manufacture.

The Key I have found with these Sleepers is to work some sort of commitment from the manufacture in a different form, like the manufacture paying for the transport of the prototype from the closest shipping port to their head office, this makes a big difference.
Now the Manufacture has a vested interest it’s only about $300- USD, it has surprised me the difference that can make to moving forward with some companies.

Inventor’s need to think more about relationships and friendships, less about racing to get the deal done, because the deal will fall into place if you are relaxed and go with the flow with the Asian Manufactures and enjoy their hospitality, I know like Taiwan Beer and the Japanese Restaurants they are great also, one company we tried a different country restaurant ever night, Like Indian, Taiwanese, Chinese and Japanese all great fun.
The other Company I had not seen the guy’s for two years, they had flowers for me, that blew me away, it’s not every day a Aussie Tradie Bloke gets Flowers, we sat down and had Chinese Tea, they also gave me a Chinese Tea set as a Gift, also make sure you take gifts with you good idea.
Last edited by Derek Pater on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Keys Invention Sell License Agreement in Asia

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:00 am

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

The Key I have found with these Sleepers is to work some sort of commitment from the manufacture in a different form, like the manufacture paying for the transport of the prototype from the closest shipping port to their head office, this makes a big difference.
Now the Manufacture has a vested interest it’s only about $300- USD, it has surprised me the difference that can make to moving forward with some companies.

Just more on the above, if go to a Car yard to buy a car and the salesman spends a lot of time with you, he has a vested intrest in you and will be keen to get the deal done!

The smarts of this can work in reverse like the above with the Asian Manufacture, bussiness in very different in Asia

:D :D
Last edited by Derek Pater on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:14 am

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

Inventor’s need to think more about relationships and friendships, less about racing to get the deal done, because the deal will fall into place if you are relaxed and go with the flow with the Asian Manufactures and enjoy their hospitality, I know like Taiwan Beer and the Japanese Restaurants they are great also, one company we tried a different country restaurant ever night, Like Indian, Taiwanese, Chinese and Japanese all great fun.
The other Company I had not seen the guy’s for two years, they had flowers for me, that blew me away, it’s not every day a Aussie Tradie Bloke gets Flowers, we sat down and had Chinese Tea, they also gave me a Chinese Tea set as a Gift, also make sure you take gifts with you good idea.

I have done quite a few deals backwards, signing the Assignment of Patent rights before the contract was ready, or needed some small changes.

So in Asia it is all about who you are and how you treat people and handshakes and honesty, the contracts are important, but for me the realationships and friends and more important.

Very different to the U.S way of doing things

:D :D

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:56 am

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

I like this Search Engine the most http://www.manufacturers.com.tw/search_ ... image.y=10

Look for Golden rated suppliers and ones that have at least one Patent for their products, find out if them OEM to well known brands, do a Google Patent search and find out if they have Assigned Patents before from Inventors.

Check them out, personaly I go on my gut feeling, by the above will reduce your risk's.

There are a lot of other search engines for Asia, but say away from these below

This is why I am personaly Taiwan Baised, and many Taiwan Manufactures have China Factories or Bussiness Partners and many products made in Taiwan have parts from China and the quality is very well controled from the Taiwan Manufacture, so yes Taiwan Products do cost a little more but you get better products and Taiwan has been making products since the 1950's mass production and Taiwan have very simular schooling system to the U.S and understand the Western people better.English is their Second Language every different to China.

The below advice is from a Australian Inventor who is in the know for these issues

The best plan is to not be too paranoid, just accept that Chinese factories WILL copy your product if there is a market for it and theres not much you can do about it, too many people sabotage their own products out of fear of copying, best to come to terms with it and just roll on unless you have mega bucks and 5+ years of waiting up your sleeve to file a PCT patent and the various national phases associated (Australia take note, the Chinese government pays its citizens patent fees, why cant the Australian government?)

So next thing to do is contact the factories in China, there are only 3 online networks I know of which care at all about IP theft with their members so best deal with them and then contact the network admins if you have problems. exportid.com alibaba.com exportbureau.com
avoid ec21.com and tradekey.com (full of counterfeiters)

I would suggest contacting multiple factories, get samples, have zero loyalty to any particular one and by process of elimination find one who can get the job done well. Honestly the copying wont start until your product becomes a commercial success by which time you should have some money to take more action.

finally be aware that many Australian inventors associations / trade fairs / and advertised inventor help business are practically a direct line to Chinese counterfeiters, same goes for the patents office itself as everything is publically published (you can bet someone is watching New Inventors every week taking notes) so theres no chance of you keeping it secret anyway, best go for maximum first mover publicity and deal with the later when you are more financially able to.

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

This website was given to me by a U.S Inventor 2 years ago http://www.alibaba.com/catalogs/0/product.html

The above site has a massive amount of manufactures to filter through

Set up a Free Trademanager Account, and you can start talking to Manufactures in Asia, I would cross refference those companies agaist this search engine and or contact Taiwan Trade for a Manufacture refference.

http://www.manufacture.com.tw/

Postby Derek Pater » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Derek Pater
Brown Belt

The best plan is to not be too paranoid, just accept that Chinese factories WILL copy your product if there is a market for it and theres not much you can do about it, too many people sabotage their own products out of fear of copying, best to come to terms with it and just roll on unless you have mega bucks and 5+ years of waiting up your sleeve to file a PCT patent and the various national phases associated (Australia take note, the Chinese government pays its citizens patent fees, why cant the Australian government?)
So next thing to do is contact the factories in China, there are only 3 online networks I know of which care at all about IP theft with their members so best deal with them and then contact the network admins if you have problems. exportid.com alibaba.com exportbureau.com
avoid ec21.com and tradekey.com (full of counterfeiters)
I would suggest contacting multiple factories, get samples, have zero loyalty to any particular one and by process of elimination find one who can get the job done well. Honestly the copying wont start until your product becomes a commercial success by which time you should have some money to take more action.
finally be aware that many Australian inventors associations / trade fairs / and advertised inventor help business are practically a direct line to Chinese counterfeiters, same goes for the patents office itself as everything is publically published (you can bet someone is watching New Inventors every week taking notes) so theres no chance of you keeping it secret anyway, best go for maximum first mover publicity and deal with the later when you are more financially able to.

The above Information is Valuable, from all my research and perspective, my goals are to Licence all my Inventions and Clients Invention to only Taiwan Manufacture, as long as the contract is signed in Taiwan I am happy, many Taiwan Manufacture have factories in China 1-10 depending on the Manufacture.
Currently only my Tilt Level will be manufactured in China due to the recommendations from the Taiwan Manufactures, also the Trade between Taiwan and China has opened up in the last half year and everything is moving faster and cheaper between the two, better for everyone.