FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Better Diving Suit

Postby genius spawn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:01 am

genius spawn
White Belt

well I had an idea of making a diving suit that you could explore in, but if something attacked(how ever unlikel yit may be) you or you just needed to get up in a hurry(you would have to get rid of all your breath before you started to climb to the surface otherwise you lungs would explode) you could.

so a few years ago a companie came out with this design that act as a dolphins tail and propell you foward by moving up and down in a smooth steady pattern. i would use that, except have two of them that way when they hit each other in the middle, it would send out a jet of water, the fins would be powered by compressed air from one of the air tanks.

i was also thinking about maybe putting pieces of semi flexible material running down the spine or the sides. like fins sort of

so what im thinking of is a diving suit with waterjet propulsion(be cause of when the two tails hit it would send out a jet of water) two diving tanks that would hold 160 cubic feet alltogether (one for the tail and the other to breathe from.)then with the semi flexible material running down the suit that way of you move up in down like most divers do it will add to the speed.

i know this isn't all plannd out yet but its just a new idea give it time to grow.

Re: Better Diving Suit

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:46 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Before you go too far, check out everything in that field:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3916814.pdf

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:48 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Great link, BSG. This is the kind of help that makes this a good community.

So yeah, genius spawn, take a look at that patent. It's just as important to get a decent look at the other patents referenced within the document. That's where you may find other projects that are even more similar to what you are proposing. In any case reading through these "instruction manuals" will give you some very good background in the field you are interested in.

The patent that BSG linked is not quite the same a what you are suggesting...using compressed air to actually operate a new piece of propulsion equipment. I would say that IS genius, in its simplicity. I don't know enough off the top of my head to say whether pneumatically driven swim equipment has been explored before. I also can't say whether the common tank pressures for breathing would be enough to drive pneumatic equipment for very long. But a well-designed apparatus could conceivably use the air very efficiently. (You could also consider using the air pressure to drive hydraulics instead.)

At first glance, the gizmo in that patent doesn't say anything about directly linking to the air pressure. I don't think you would want to use a propeller anyway, because they tend to cavitate and waste energy. The release of air nearby would probably cause even more turbulence (wasted energy).

Nice idea, GS. I can see something like a plastic exo-skeleton connected by linkages (possibly cables) to powered cylinders...

Postby bottleslingguy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:35 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

No yeah, it's not exactly like what he's talking about but like yo said he needs to research the field. He needs to know what's going on in the arena he has chosen to play. Know thy product!

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:49 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I wanna take a stab and guess him/her to be a young adult. So some of this may be way over his/her head.

I do like the name genius spawn....uncapitalized, subtle, and to-the-point.

Postby JoeWaisman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:28 pm

JoeWaisman
Green Belt

I like the idea. There is a great deal of potential energy stored in those tanks. I see one problem with the context in which it is used. It seems as though it would cause the bends. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_sickness

My Navy Seal buddy was teaching me about scuba diving and how if you're deep enough it's important to not surface too quickly. Supposedly when you dive your body holds more nitrogen in the blood stream and to balance out the pressure. When you surface too quickly the nitrogen expands causing bubbles and all sorts of nasty things. I was taught when surfacing to let out an air bubble and rise no faster than the bubble.

Postby Gizmo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Gizmo

It may be possible to have some type of propelled mechanism attached to your dive suit or tank, you could attach your spare air regulator to power it in case of an emergency.......In an emergency situation you dont always have time to think about getting the bends....If your worried about the bends dive at no more than 33 ft 1 atmosphere you wont have to worry about it...you can dive at that depth all day long and never have to do a safety stop.........I love diving, maybe I can get back at it with my new knee replacements, sharks cant bite through the titainium....lol

You can even use a scooter............
http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products ... cooter.htm

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:01 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Ha! I think titanium just takes a little longer, Giz.

But, speaking of metal joints, I wonder of this would have a particular advantage over say a hand-held diving propeller, enough to justify the R&D...

Postby Gizmo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Gizmo

Scrump, I was thinking the same thing, thats why I attached the scooter. I could be wrong but I dont think theres a need for the propelled suit. Plus the market wouldnt be large enough,,, Most of my diving is done without a suit in Florida, theres a few months in the winter I wear one. Cave divers use the scooters quite often from what Ive been told. Never tried the caves and dont plan on it anytime soon..Thats crazyness in my book...Theres usally only one way out of the caves and you better hope your tag line doesnt come loose or break....Scares the hell out of me thinking about it.
Even with the propelled suit or scooter a shark could still eat you up before you get back in the boat. Ive been around a few over the yrs, it can make you really suck a tank dry...quick..LLOL.
Divers dont have as many emergency ascents as you would think. I had a regulator start freeflowing one time, I grabbed my dive buddys spare reg and breathed off his during the ascent and safety stop......

You may be right about the titanium taking longer, hope I never get a chance to find out....

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:30 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Well, I guess the question kinda answers itself...some sort of kicking apparatus would definitely free up your hands.

But, is there any real need to swim faster, or for longer periods, before exhaustion or before having to come up to change tanks, I wonder?

I suppose commercial fisherman or divers could benefit somehow, though there's nothing I'm aware of. You could probably dive quite a bit deeper, and still have your hands and arms free. I don't know.