FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Looking for advice from creative people

Postby Levi Porter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Well, it's official. I have chosen to pursue another path.

Art. Contemporary Abstract. http://www.leviporter.com I'll post a few of the better ones at the bottom.

It's funny how in some ways it parallels inventing. Doing art, like coming up with an idea, is simpler than the work required to see it successful in the marketplace.

One thing I really like about it, that I also think other inventors would appreciate, is the sort of instant creation aspect. You can have an idea, do a painting, and then show it to the world without risking much, other than maybe some harsh criticism. I have already had an image published without my consent as a free wallpaper download. I am looking at it like more exposure, but maybe that's foolish?

So far I have been my worst critic. I am trying to force myself to follow through with marketing efforts.

Any tips, suggestions, marketing ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Levi

Image .
Image .
Image .
Contemporary Abstract Paintings

http://www.leviporter.com

Re: Looking for advice from creative people

Postby apapage » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 pm

apapage
Green Belt

I recently helped an inventor/artist with an application and getting a gallery started. In only one month he sold a couple of his paintings. One way to start selling is to get a gallery to show your work. The gallery gets a cut when the painting is sold. You can of course start your own gallery or partner with other artists to share gallery space. I think that art is best sold in person, but online may work as well. Remember that when you sell the painting you are not selling the copyright with the painting. You can sell print copies of the painting as well.

Postby Levi Porter » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:31 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Thanks Antonio,

I agree that in person has a lot of advantages. I have a couple of irons in the fire with shows.

Online is inundated with art, making exposure a time consuming repetition. Haven't had the time to get in as many places as possible yet.

Retaining rights of copyright and ability to sell prints is a good reminder.

Thank you.

Levi

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

so many interesting pieces. Signal caught my eye among the thumbnails. I like your style very much. I hear you on the "creative process" thing being in a parallel w/inventing. It's really all about the Journey rather than the end result for me.

Postby Michelle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:16 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Levi:

Your work is beautiful. Wow.

I wish you amazing fortune and good luck with your new efforts.

Much like inventing, the business of selling art and an invention are very similar. They both take alot of hard work and alot of hustle to get things going. It is so much about marketing and promotion.

Please do come back from time to time and update this thread and let us know how you are doing.
I would appreciate any tips you learn in promoting your work.

One that I would recommend is to make sure to get involved in some of the online community sharing sites.
Places where you can promote your work will be invaluable and well worth investigating.

Also, I would absolutely make sure to post your link to the bottom of your signature in your emails.
It is random but I have found that a simple link on my emails have led to folks coming onto our site, just out of curiosity.

There are also online communities of folks who provide art services. We had used one to find the artist to help us with our site designs. Signing up for a few of those may be well worth your time.

Also, there are tons of ways to provide art work in other formats with merchandising. I would definitely think about cafe press and other merchandising sites (where you can post for free), just for their ability to help you get your images out there on the web. Also think about ways you can make your art affordable with small items. I could see some of your art doing well on coffee cups and calendars.

It may not be the format you are ideally looking to sell...but making your art easily affordable could help you make some $s.

If you have a high end law firm where you know folks in your home town, it may be to offer to showcase your art for free to them with a discrete tag with your website and a price. It will be a good way to showcase and possibly sell it there as well. The clientele would be perfect for you.

Plastic surgery offices may also be good.

Think of places where there is alot of discretionary money folks sitting around staring at your art while they wait.

Michelle

Postby Levi Porter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Thank you BSG.

The journey seems to be a critical key. If one is happy with it, then the results should also be pleasing.

Thank you so much Michelle :)

You bring up some excellent ideas. Thanks for bringing those up. I like the idea of making it affordable. I would, and still might sell the originals for less, but my local art consultant argues that it devalues and insults my work if I sell for too little.

It would be cool to come up with stuff that teenagers or kids would like in a poster.

Your doctors and lawyers idea is really good, especially for the paintings that reflect a calming or comforting feel.

I haven't given up on inventing. It has been nice to take break.

Thank you again Michelle

Cheers,

Levi

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:07 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Yeah Michelle that was some great advice. Levi just make what makes you happy and others will feel it eventually. I've been working with a variation of spin art lately. We all need a break from time to time. Good to see you're still alive.

Postby Levi Porter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:00 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

You too.

One thing I have found rather interesting with some of my art, is that I can do something that I actually despise, but other people really like it, so I don't burn it. I am not the type of artist that really cares whether or not I like something, it's the fact that others appreciate it keeps me going. At the same time, if I didn't like it, I wouldn't do it.

I had never heard of spin art before. Thanks for bringing that up. It looks pretty cool. Seems like you could do some fun stuff with variations of the technique, or like using the spinning aspect to throw paint onto surfaces to experiment with the Pollock motion styles.

It would be fun to invent and patent a new method of art application.... There I go trying to invent again!Image

While looking at some Youtube videos about spin art, I ran across Space Art with aerosol spray paint. It looks like it's pretty easy do some cool stuff.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY1Lr-yG ... ature=fvwp

Well thanks again Mr BottleSling.

Keep doing art. Show me your experiments sometime time if you're up for it.

Best Regards,

Levi