FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Scoops about the Auditions

Postby thinkoutsidethecircle » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:56 pm

thinkoutsidethecircle
Site Admin

Tell us your audition stories here.

Wade (not verified) | 2006-04-19 09:40 | My American Inventor audition ...Disc Eraser was my Saver!

Hello this is Wade Sun, inventor of the Disc Eraser (Top 30 - American Inventor). Now that I'm offically out of competition, I can say whatever I want!!! Here's some advice for you future auditioners:

This account is one funny "GEM" that SHOULD have been shown on the show (Maybe if they had a bloopers or a B-reel episode, then this DEFINITELY should be shown).

I actually auditioned with 2 inventions (my Bed Reader, and my Disc Eraser). The first round producers/people were equally impressed by both, and the producers chose my Bed Reader for the next round. You know what, I also wanted Bed Reader to advance, because everybody likes to read in bed but gets a sore neck and arms from holding their book up. Although it wasn't as fully developed as my Disc Eraser, I thought that America would like it better, and a potential winner of the competition. BUT I brought along my Disc Eraser just in case, since it is small in size.

During the pitch, I had an inflatable mattress that I used to lie down on and demonstrate in front of the 4 judges. My invention is to lie flat on my back, facing up. I use two special reflective surfaces as the book rests flatly on my chest, and I can clearly read the book. INGENIOUS, they thought, they had seen nothing like it before! I showed them how easy it was to turn pages, and I even implemented white LEDs for night time reading.

Mary Lou was excited and immediately walked out to me and wanted to try it. Unfortunately, she didn't know how to adjust it properly, and being a woman, her chest was not as flat as mine and couldn't see through both surfaces for a correct image of the book. She just laughed and said she couldn't see a thing, that all she saw was her nose. I offered to help her but EVERYONE laughed! True, a learning curve is needed with my Bed Reader, and perhaps a pillow would have helped her see over her chest. BUT the other judges saw that it didn't work for her, so they seemed inclined to vote NO.

THEN, Doug commented that I was an out-of-the-box thinker, and that he had never seen anything as wild as my Bed Reader. They asked me questions, if I used it, I said yes, and so did my wife. I actually invented it for her. It was too wild for the competition, Doug said, so he voted NO but encouraged me to go on and invent other things.

This is when I seized the moment by saying I did invent another thing, and pulled out my Disc Eraser, and they passed it around and said this was such a better candidate for the competition, so why didn't I pitch Disc Eraser instead of the Bed Reader? Well, it was not my choice, the producer told me to pitch the Bed Reader. Maybe I would have advanced if Mary Lou didn't mess up my Bed Reader with her demonstration. You know, only minor modifications could have fixed that.

Anyhow I passed 3 to 1. They first filmed all judges saying NO to my bed reader. I guess they never showed my reaction (because I was smiling, knowing that my Disc Eraser just save me)! Then the rest of the Disc Eraser critique...Doug was still not convinced the Disc Eraser was 1)actually invented by me, and not stolen from China, 2)No different than simply scratching the disc, and 3)That CD and DVD technology was soon to become old and obsolete, and that hard drives are the new technology. Like alot of what he says, all 3 of his statements are wrong. But the other 3 judges passed me, so I was happy!

You can see picture of my bedreader at http://wadesun.blogspot.com/ if any manufacture wants to license it from me, let's get a deal. I know this is a great product that should have made it through!

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-03-27 12:03 | Audition

i need to know when the next auditions
will be later on in 2006, in
washington, D.C.

thx you

email this comment
Aries | 2006-03-28 20:25 | next audition

I don't think this information is out yet but i think you can sign up online for them to send you information on it when it comes out.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-03-28 12:35 | How did everyone first learn

How did everyone first learn about the auditions for "American Inventor?"Did you see an ad online, newspaper, magazine? Thanks - MN

email this comment
Bottleslingguy (not verified) | 2006-03-16 20:34 | Before Me

I went on after the two-seater bike. As I was waiting in the "green area" I could hear muffled talking and then applause. I thought, "Wow! If they liked that, they are sure to like mine." How wrong I was.

email this comment
Anonymous (not verified) | 2006-03-16 19:36 | Auditon age

What was the minimum age to audition? I saw a lot of kids on the show.

Season Two Auditions

Postby Michelle » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:22 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Season Two audition discussions seem to be happening here

viewtopic.php?t=67

Postby Michelle » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:39 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Posted: 20 Jan 2007 18:39 Post subject: Finalists Cannot Audition for Season 2 of American Inventor Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Latest update from producers of American Inventor show, who are saying:

"We are currently gearing up for our second season, and in doing so, some of our first season finalists have inquired about returning to audition again this year. Unfortunately, we are not able to extend this opportunity to any of our twelve finalists, and we will not be able to review or consider any inventions, old or new, from our season one finalists."

We are currently trying to tap our sources and find out where the locations for auditions will be. You'll hear it here first so keep checking in.

For anyone with any info, please drop us a line.

Michelle