FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: New Patented Member

Postby rather-be-golfing » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 am

rather-be-golfing
Green Belt

Helmet,

Life should have a fast-forward button for times like this! I have had a couple of those moments when nothing else mattered as well.

The first time I showed a drawing to a large potential customer....I asked his opinion and his response was "You are going to be so rich!"
The first time I faxed a drawing to a manufacturer I got an excited call from the president of the company less than 15 minutes later outlining a possible license agreement.

There are a few others and I remember being able to brush aside all of life's stresses and think about all the options that the future holds. The freedom to pursue other ideas and help other people pursue their's.
Unfortunately, finding someone actually willing to invest time and money and make a financial committment is next to impossible in certain markets.

In the meantime, the bills still have to be paid and most people think that you are irresponsible and perhaps insane! The first time that you get a big check that will all go away and people will recognize you as an Inventor rather than a dreamer!

Good Luck and please keep us updated.

RBG

Postby Helmet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Helmet
White Belt

It is difficult following a dream no one else can see but you! I have had the comments about my irresponsibility and "putting all my eggs in one basket." But its my life and my dream and I have committed to seeing it through. And most of them gave up their dreams so long ago they can't even remember what they were!! Getting that big check would be great just to show them that it was worth it and that I wasn't playin.'

The ideas you have sound pretty solid and exciting. Are you still pursuing them? I know you mentioned financing being a problem but I am curious as to whether you are still pursuing the ideas.

And by the way, in case you don't go back to the thread, thank you for your input on our payment situation!

Postby rather-be-golfing » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:38 pm

rather-be-golfing
Green Belt

I will get my 'baby' on the market or die trying!
Actually it is still going well but after the first responses that I got I just never expected it to be this difficult. Even large manufacturers with multi-billion $$$$ sales expect an individual to do all the hard work and bring them a finished product. I managed to find an inventor working for IBM who understands what I am up against. He is not involved financially but is pushing my product from inside to people that I could never get to.
The worst part for me is that I have been coming up with ideas since I was a kid but until a 'no-brainer' came along I had never thrown myself to the wolves. So you go through the process...prior art search...drawings.....customer surveys....patent app.....manufacturing inquiries...etc. Everything was perfect and everyone including the manufacturers were excited. All of a sudden I realized why I loved my job when I was creating but completely lost interest when it came to maintaining the result. That was 2 years ago and i have been very close to a deal twice but when you are breaking new ground it is difficult to find someone who will step up and commit. I am not interested in starting a business but I can bring a product to a company that needs one and knows what to do with it.
Once I saw my future I couldn't turn back. Unfortunately, the economy slowed my progress and wiped-out the company that I was working for.
We are all warned to not quit our day jobs until you are getting steady income from your invention but what if you lose your job and have no passion for your career anymore? Its hard to fake it!
I never thought that I would have to do ALL the work and take ALL the risk!

Postby rather-be-golfing » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:04 am

rather-be-golfing
Green Belt

Helmet,

Please check your PM's.

RBG
Previous