FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

How I got into the invention business

Postby PatentAgent » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 pm

PatentAgent
White Belt

I worked as a scientist at Science Applications International Corporation. The Swedes just came out with a study revealing that our CRT computer monitors (remember those?) were blasting our heads with unhealthy amounts of radiation! I was working on a space based laser system which needed some magnetic shielding. I decided to make a magnetic shield for computer monitors. I called a huge computer products company Curtis technologies - and they loved it. They said we'll buy all you can ship. So I went to a patent attorney. They said "send us 5 grand and we'll write a patent". It was then I knew I was in the wrong business. So I became a patent agent! Well, since then 1992, I have had a great career shared with enthusiastic inventors everywhere. It is really an uplifting and wonderful world to be amongst these creative people.

Re: How I got into the invention business

Postby Hayseed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Hayseed
White Belt

I started by trying to improve on a certain area of my work that was not receiving enough attention. The task I was trying to improve, is mostly done by hand, and can be quite grueling, what I came up with was a simple solution, that I am still trying to work out. I have found that simple is, is not as simple as you would think.

And in thinking about how many of these tools would sell, I realized it would only be used by a certain few, in this paticular construction trade.

That's when I started thinking of things that every one would want to buy, and have been looking for those things ever since. I have started on trying to earn my second million dollars, after giving up on my first.

Postby Michelle » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

A warm welcome to both of you. I am glad to have you on the site and look forward to hearing more from you.

Michelle

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

PatentAgent wrote:I worked as a scientist at Science Applications International Corporation. The Swedes just came out with a study revealing that our CRT computer monitors (remember those?) were blasting our heads with unhealthy amounts of radiation! I was working on a space based laser system which needed some magnetic shielding. I decided to make a magnetic shield for computer monitors. I called a huge computer products company Curtis technologies - and they loved it. They said we'll buy all you can ship. So I went to a patent attorney. They said "send us 5 grand and we'll write a patent". It was then I knew I was in the wrong business. So I became a patent agent! Well, since then 1992, I have had a great career shared with enthusiastic inventors everywhere. It is really an uplifting and wonderful world to be amongst these creative people.

Welcome.

I've noticed that the practitioners who participate here tend to be inventors themselves.

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:19 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Hayseed wrote: ...I have started on trying to earn my second million dollars, after giving up on my first.

Ha! I just got that.

Hold on to that sense of humor...it's critical!