FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Patents brokerage venture

Postby Patentsforsale » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Patentsforsale
White Belt

Hi Members,

I currently run a website called patentsforsale.co.uk which is a site where buyers and inventors exchange mails and discuss the sales of inventions.

To augment this service I am thinking of starting a company offering patent brokerage service. This will involve finding potential investors to buy patents and other intellectual property rights, hence charging a comission on a successful sale.

This could mean earning quite healthy commisions and am looking for individual who have experience in the patent industry as well as business and sales to work with me to get this business started.

Look forward to suggestions.

Re: Patents brokerage venture

Postby Roger Brown » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Can you clarify what happens once they buy a patent? Does it just sit there or do they produce the product? Once they buy the patent is it for a flat fee and the Inventor no longer has any ties to it or does the Inventor get a royalty?

Plus, why are you starting three threads all saying the same thing?
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Patentsforsale » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Patentsforsale
White Belt

Hi Roger,

I currently run a website where inventors list their inventions for free and then buyers and inventors can interact and exchange messages for a subscription fee.

Thus when a negotiation is made this can either be for licensing or for complete sale of the patent.

However, I am considering opening a patent brokerage so that I can introduce intellectual property rights to an investor and hence earn a commisiion for bringing the invention to the market place.

I would welcome your help and advice about how you would initiate such a brokerage business. Also where do you get a list of all the investors.

Thanks again.

Postby apapage » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:52 pm

apapage
Green Belt

I know one or two inventor brokers. Most work with companies like Xerox, 3com, etc. which have a hefty patent portfolio that they want to sell. The best way to identify buyers is to look for companies with similar business. For example, new metal tool box, look for companies that produce toolboxes. If the patent is being infringed, then look to a company that buys IP in these circumstances (also known as trolls) or a patent firm that does contingency work.
Last edited by apapage on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Patentsforsale » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Patentsforsale
White Belt

Thanks for your response.

Would you have any contact details of potential investors which different specialities? Also do you have any idea of setting up a brokerage the legal aspects, the requirements to set up a business like this.

I have contacts to a number of patent holders and I think sellign even one can make some good returns. I am looking to partner with indivduals who have experience and we can all make some money.

Postby apapage » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:14 am

apapage
Green Belt

I don't know of anyone that is specifically looking to get into this type of business, although if there is a patent that is being infringed I can help with the licensing. I am not aware of any special requirements for setting up this type of business, so you will need to decide on a business structure (corporation, LLC, etc.). I recommend a business plan to keep you focused and/or for investors. Other legal considerations are the terms of the brokerage agreement.