FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Poor Inventor

Postby Kayla_sky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:28 am

Kayla_sky
White Belt

Im 18 years old and im an inventor. Unfortunately i have no money to support my ideas. But i am willing to take SOME risks. Im a highschool dropout and I have a beautiful 6 month old baby girl. Im left with few options when it comes to taking investment risk. I come up with great ideas ALL the time. and they truly are great. it comes natural- every since i was a little girl. Stuff that is not out there that should be is very obvious to me. I know that i can make it as an inventor but i need help. All i need to do is get past the EXPENSIVE patenting process. I by no means have money esp 1000$ for a patent to spare. I have heard something about you have one year after your product is out to get a patent- does this mean your automatically protected for a year or you only have one year of protection from a patent? I need to know the CHEAPEST yet effective way/process to patenting an idea and getting it to market. I need to know the cheapest way and the best order to do it all in. PLEASE leave advice.

Postby makeworldbetter » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:46 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Kayla

Do a patent search first. It's free and you can do it on google. type patent search on google and that will lead you to.
If you are sure your idea is patentable, then file a Provisional patent which I guess you can write yourself. It only cost $100 to file.

Once you did that, you can discuss your patent pending idea with someone you trust (still not recommand to talk to everyone). Just to see if that idea is worthy to proceed.

You can find provisional patent information on this site or on USPTO.gov site

patents

Postby Work2XL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Kayla,
Welcome to the group. There are many posts here about the patent process. There is also good information on this site in the reference section I believe. The simple answer to your question is if you file a Provisional application for a Patent you could have patent pending status for 1 year. But you must file a "Real" Patent application with in one year or you lose the right to file. There are ALOT of little things that you will need to be aware of. A suggestion for you could be is to take one of your easiest ideas to create and make a few on your own at home and try to get it to market without a patent. If you can generate revenue locally from it, (get it in a couple small stores) then you may be able to finance some of your other ideas that you would want to patent. A very good reference book to look at is "Patent it yourself". (I believe is the name). You do not need a patent to sell a product on the market. A patent may give you the right to be the only person to make it. I stress may.

Another option could be to lease an idea the way Roger Brown and a couple other here do.
Good luck with the journey.
Randy

Cheapest and Most efficient way to get to market

Postby WadeSun » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm

WadeSun
White Belt

First of all, you need to do some market research around your idea/invention, as well as some patent research. A good idea just isn't enough, there are many requirements that must be met in order to obtain a patent (patentability, novelty, non-obviousness, etc..), so before attempting to get a patent, you should make sure your idea is patentable. Then, file a provisional patent (1 year placeholder) and look for manufacturers or companies who you can license your patent-pending invention to.

It definitely helps if you have sales and/or marketing data, if you could make some prototypes and sell them to demonstrate that there's a big enough market for your type of product, this will greatly increase your success at licensing. I would say at least 20 million market size. I have gained experience writing both provisional and utility patents for myself as well as friends and clients, email me if you want more info. wade@SunZag.com

Re: Poor Inventor

Postby matrix14 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:38 pm

matrix14
White Belt

Kayla_sky wrote:Im 18 years old and im an inventor. Unfortunately i have no money to support my ideas. But i am willing to take SOME risks. Im a highschool dropout and I have a beautiful 6 month old baby girl. Im left with few options when it comes to taking investment risk. I come up with great ideas ALL the time. and they truly are great. it comes natural- every since i was a little girl. Stuff that is not out there that should be is very obvious to me. I know that i can make it as an inventor but i need help. All i need to do is get past the EXPENSIVE patenting process. I by no means have money esp 1000$ for a patent to spare. I have heard something about you have one year after your product is out to get a patent- does this mean your automatically protected for a year or you only have one year of protection from a patent? I need to know the CHEAPEST yet effective way/process to patenting an idea and getting it to market. I need to know the cheapest way and the best order to do it all in. PLEASE leave advice.

Dear Kayla,

Sorry I try to reply you while you just offline...
If you are an inventor, I am sure you can use your invention to create a new design, why you not try to work as a designer or some kind of it? Then use your invention that in the form of some kind of equation or like it to make your design the best one ever... Yeah maybe this is will also take a risk, but of course you should not tell about "Q key" about your invention in this way. This is one idea to make you have cost to later you'll use to patent your invention, while you work as a designer, at that time you can also update the "matrix" on your invention before you really do to patent your invention...

Postby Levi Porter » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:25 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Kayla_sky wrote:I have heard something about you have one year after your product is out to get a patent-

If you are filing in the US, patents are given to the first to develop, not the first to file.

This means that if your idea was somewhere on the market without a patent, you would have one year to file a patent application for protection.

does this mean your automatically protected for a year or you only have one year of protection from a patent?

In the United States, you can use proof of your publicized or sold idea as the original inventor and get a patent if it is patentable.

Patent protection varies depending on what type of patent it is.

(I believe it is typically 14 years for a Design, and 20 for a Utility that starts from the date you file. )

Postby davh12 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12 am

davh12
White Belt

Poor Inventor,

You can down load all the necessary paperwork from the US Patent Office web site. Depending on the nature of the invention, design invention or an invention that has function/ utility...you can file for a Design Patent or Non-Non-provisional Utility Patent for the "utility" or mechanical function ideas. It's was roughly $554 dollars for my patent, but I dropped my Patent attorney and filed for the patent myself. Some patent attornys get greedy. If you can sketch or draw well, just go to any patent web site like"freepatentsonline.com" and print out a patent that is similar along the lines of what your category invention falls into. Make your patent, with regard to drawings, etc look like the one that you printed out. Of course the wording needs to be your own. You are only making your patent look like the one that you printed out in format, font size, and spacing. You are allowed 3 claims without additional charge being added to the flate rate for filing for a patent if you are small entity. If you need more than 3 claims, like I did, it is $110.oo per additional claim. The Patent Office does not get in a hurry, so be patient. Good luck.

Dave

Postby davh12 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:48 am

davh12
White Belt

Poor Inventor,
Be careful about "blasting" your idea online.............it will get you noticed and attract contractors, etc, but can they be trusted and more importantly, can it be protected?......is what you need to be asking youself. If it is posted online, then it becomes "open source" for public use wheter or not you specify it's purpose/intent or not. There have been ideas that became "unpatentable" due to public exposure and use of "open source" technology information. I have a web site to do just that......blast the internt for the idea of the rotor system that I designed and put that idea out there, but it was after the patent got started in the works. I have one spot only for open source rotor technology and the rest is for patented ideas. Some things are good to share because invention can be a singular accomplishment yet for innovation to take root and improve an idea, there are times when the effort needs to be for a collective end-state.

Good luck and God-speed

Dave

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:34 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

To help you with the drawings you can try http://sketchup.google.com/ it is free and very user friendly.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby apapage » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:36 pm

apapage
Green Belt

Great advice from all. The only thing to add is to avoid google for patent searches at this time. I have had mixed results and suggest freepatentsonline. If after your search you need some advice on patentability, send me an email I'll take a look and let you know what I think at no cost. If there is patentable subject matter then you will have to estimate the marketability and decide if it is prudent to even spend 100 on a provisional. If prudent, file the provisional yourself and start marketing your invention. You have one year to see if their is any interest before committing to a utility.