FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Can you patent a marketing Idea

Postby freckle9002 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:28 pm

freckle9002
White Belt

Can you patent a marketing idea?? I feel as though I have a really good marketing idea, but I have no idea where to begin. I have done some research on patents and it seems as though you need working model or a tangible object. This is just a way to creat more business on the marketing end related to radio advertisement. Any and all suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

Re: Can you patent a marketing Idea

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

freckle9002 wrote:Can you patent a marketing idea?? I feel as though I have a really good marketing idea, but I have no idea where to begin. I have done some research on patents and it seems as though you need working model or a tangible object. This is just a way to creat more business on the marketing end related to radio advertisement. Any and all suggestions will be helpful. Thanks!

Yeah, your example of a working model or a tangible object is a decent way to look at it, because it corresponds to the apparently prevailing test for business methods (or more to the point, 'processes' in general). Does it either use a machine or transform a tangible item in a non-trivial way, to provide its benefit.

Of course, when you use language to define technological value, you run into limitations like: What the heck does tangible mean? And, who should decide what is trivial, as opposed to directly inventive?

But, to answer your question with another question...Why does it need to be radio advertisement, IOW why couldn't it be television? Your answer might give you a clue as to why it is valuable, and what materiele it needs in order to be implemented...

I'm Ken Campbell, a registered US patent practitioner at the Affordable Patent Service.

As a forum moderator, though, any input I provide should be considered general information, and not legal advice. The ideas I express are not necessarily the opinions of InventorSpot.com or its affiliates. In general, any action taken as a result of information, analysis, or advice from any forum members on this site is ultimately the user's responsibility.