FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: Need collaboration with sophisticated idea

Postby bzguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:46 am

bzguy
White Belt

I agree,
Friction, heat, are power deficits. I could be wrong but what I am trying to do is something different from conventional fluid drives. Not just a differnt fluid, a different method of transfer/interaction.After all, if it were as simple as using conventional technology, there would never be any improvement. A variable pitch torque converter was invented years ago, why didn't that blossom into a working transmission if simply sticking to or improving state of the art fluid tech works?
The characteristics of the compound I mentioned, and hopefully others with even better specs, are the key to a new concept. I am not trying to reinvent the current technology.
i have seen (On Discovery channel) fluids that were partially metals and changed their properties under the influence of a magnetic field. Perhaps something along this line.
Does anyone know what the percentage of power loss is with conventional transmission fluid tech? That's the number to beat!
Thanks, Dennis

Postby bzguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 am

bzguy
White Belt

Hi,
First of all, do you know the percentage of friction power loss with conventional transmission fluid systems? That's the number to beat!
How mainstream are current CVT's, and are they working out well as compared to conventional multi-gears, is there a future in the current designs to be precise?
Here's the deal. I am not simply trying to replace the current state of the art fluid. My idea is much more involved, I want to re-invent the way the fluid and the interfacing moving parts are designed and work, a change in the method the torque is transferred. . I think i have a much more efficient, less parts, cheaper to produce and ultimately more efficient concept.
I have seen fluids, (On Discovery channel) that change their properties when exposed to a magnetic field, anyone know a bit about that?
Thanks again, Dennis

Postby JoeWaisman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:29 pm

JoeWaisman
Green Belt

bzguy wrote: The characteristics of the compound I mentioned, and hopefully others with even better specs, are the key to a new concept. I am not trying to reinvent the current technology.

bzguy wrote:[...]if it were as simple as using conventional technology, there would never be any improvement.

You think big...got it. The tendency, let alone the ability to think big, outside the bounds of what already exists, is rare in our society. There's a catch though: Inventors and engineers tend to want to do too much; they want to implement features that are cool, but have limited value from a business perspective. I actually do not believe this is the case from what I know of your idea...but keep this in mind. I guarantee that if you do get a group together, it will happen.

bzguy wrote:A variable pitch torque converter was invented years ago, why didn't that blossom into a working transmission [...]?

I have no idea.

bzguy wrote: i have seen (On Discovery channel) fluids that were partially metals and changed their properties under the influence of a magnetic field. Perhaps something along this line.

That is pretty cool, and something I know little about. If you build something based upon this tech, please come back and share more details with us (assuming you have adequate protection for the idea by then).

bzguy wrote: Does anyone know what the percentage of power loss is with conventional transmission fluid tech? That's the number to beat!
Thanks, Dennis

Google search "current automatic vs manual transmission power loss." It looks as though 15% is a consistent number, but that's hardly scientific. There are also some automatics that are actually a robotic controlled manual transmission as well.

Postby bzguy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:33 pm

bzguy
White Belt

Hello Joe,
Appreciate the encouragement. You're right, I've often been told that I thing big, my dad tells me I think too big, I tell him that's his perspective. I really don't see it as big, just different. The applications could become big. I have probably 100 ideas, most improvements over current technology. They come to me daily, usually while using an existing tool or machine and seeing where it has obvious shortcomings. I have been discouraged over the years by my pragmatic, practical dad, perhaps because he has always been a follower as opposed to me, the risk-taker.
I grew up in a family of auto mechanics, machinists, inventors without patents or marketing ambitions. My grand-dad built a snowmobile and a winnebago years before they went into production. I worked in his shop, and seeing the complexity of an automatic transmission always had me thinking of improvements.
You wrote this..............There are also some automatics that are actually a robotic controlled manual transmission as well.
Isn't that the everyday "automatic transmission" that has dominated the market? That's the kind of needless complexity I'm trying to get around. Gears of different ratios, clutch plates to switch between them, the guts of a standard automatic tranny have way too many moving, interfacing, friction creating parts.
CVT's seem to me in theory far more efficient, if only because the ratio is infinitely variable instead of 4,5or 6 gears with all the gizmos needed to switch from one to the next. Remember Chevy Powerglides? 2 speeds only!
From what i read though, they have friction points that become problems.Belts that wear, etc.
My concept would eliminate this, the only interfacing solid parts would be shafts and bearings. The bearings could be made out of a softer material and in a configuration so they could be replaced without removing or even opening the case.
Need to find a water/cornstarch like properties fluid, but without the changes in properties that changes in temperature cause.
I did take steps now to draw up the parts interfacing with the proper fluid, and protect that idea, so Hopefully soon I'll be able to share the thing and give everyone a glimpse of what i mean. A picture's worth a thousand words, and this one is beyond words i possess.
Anyone?
Thanks again, Dennis
Previous