FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

A Couple Tips

Postby kschmidt82 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am

kschmidt82
White Belt

Hey all! I haven't been on here in a while so I figured I'd check in. I do have a couple tips based on my recent experience and I know I have seen some questions about these things on here in the past.

1. For those of you who have idea after idea but a lack of resources for prototyping or lack of artistic skills (like me), check out a 3D CAD Drafting Class at your local community college. I am currently enrolled in Solidworks 1 and 2. I can tell you that within the first 4 weeks of class I was able to make professional and accurate 3D drawings of an invention I have currently under review. This was helpful since my prototype consisted of a bent up wire coat hanger. The classes were relatively inexpensive for the knowledge and expertise you gain.

Another benefit is that most of these courses will give you access to a 3D printer as well which could be useful in prototyping. It's been my experience that my instructor has been rather excited to see me excel and apply my knowledge so quickly to an are that's so interesting such as inventing.

2. I approached a company that manufactures other products that fit directly in line with the one I invented. Even though my only prototype was a bent coat hanger, at the time I didn't have the means to make a professional drawing so I used what I had. I made my prototype, took pictures of it in action, and made absolutely sure that the rest of my written submission was as excellent as it could be in order to ease their pain after seeing my crude prototype.

The Moral of the Story: Don't sit around and wait until you get the perfect submission and prototype. I sat on this one for well over a year before I finally admitted to myself that if I didn't go for it now and use what I had then I never would. If your concept is sound and your presentation is as professional as possible, the rest should take care of itself. At least that's what has happened for me.

Just thought I'd share a tip. Especially the one about learning 3D CAD. It really helps, A LOT! Thanks.