FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Inventor

Postby 5letgazdag » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:23 pm

5letgazdag
White Belt

Hello to everybody ! your Tu person to help How could I find supporters to carrying out of my gags ?

Places to start

Postby Work2XL » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:08 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Wow, I guess it's been awhile since I was back to this thread. I'm not real sure what TJ's questions are. I've seen people suggesting going to Lowes or Home Depot, I'd say that seems a bit off to me. If you work in the manufacturing industry go to your purchasing department or better yet your safety coordinator for your facility and ask for an old safety catalog. (One of my many hats at my plant is Safety Manager) If you send me a PM I can send you a catalog. There will be a hundred different brands of safety glasses in it. You can sometimes write/call a company and ask for a "Sample". 7 out of 10 times they will send you a free sample. Just tell them you are looking at changing brands for your company of 120+ employees. Write down who you talked to, and from what company, just encase you want try to get another sample later. Once you get the sample, often you will see the manufacturer logo either on the paperwork or on the part. Contact them if your interested in licensing. Many times one manufacurer will make most of the competing brands.
One possible source would be Cintas. They are a safety supply company that branches out in many different services and supplies.
I hope that helps with one question. If you care to repost any others I will throw two more cents into the thread.

Randy

invention

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:26 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

I couldn't agree with Average Inventor more. That is exactly how I do it and as you may know it has worked quite well for me. Coming up with your invention is just a small part of the inventing process if you plan on getting it to market. There are too many Inventors that are in love with the fact that they can say " I have a patent". What I am in love with is being able to say " I am getting royalties". Which would you rather be saying?
Having a patent or having a great idea isn't getting you cash. You have to do the tedious leg work of finding a company interested in your idea if you plan on getting it licensed. If you plan on producing it yourself you have other hurdles to get over.
These commenst are aimed at the person wanting royalties from licensing. You will need to go to every store you can imagine that would carry the type of product you have in mind. Collect the information from various packaging , research and find the phone number of that company. One thing to be aware of is that a large part of the time the company listed on the packaging is not the company making the product, they may only be the distributer. Which means further research. 80% of my time is spent finding the proper company and contact.
Once you have the proper contact make sure you approach them professionally. I can not stress this enough. I get emails daily from Inventors that have found a company and then proceeded to shot themselves in the foot by the way they approached the company.
A prime example is a Inventor that found the company and wrote to them without kowing a contact at the company. They addressed their envelope to the company without a name. This goes into the bulk mail at the company and you are approaching. They sent the idea in the first letter without getting a nondisclosure from the company. They also did not know if the company even looked at outside ideas from Inventors.
To top it all off they were annoyed and surprised that they had not heard anything from the company.
It is a old saying, but a true one " You only get one chance to make a good first impression" Make sure yours is professional.
TJ, I agree with Average Inventor you need to research who your target companies are and get the proper contact person and info. Then make sure you have a short but concise presentation put together to send once you have the nondisclosure signed and in your possesion.

Best of Luck to you.
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Road Show » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

(Michelle, I thought I was blocked from this thread? I promise to be civil :wink: )

Hey Roger,

I always appreciate when you post, because your words are backed by real experience. I like to think of inventors, myself included, as a bunch of would-be song writers, but with the difference that very few inventors learn about inventing prior to trying to commercialize an idea they feel is the next hot product, or where they perceive a need (once again, myself included). Can you imagine the chances of success for songwriter with no musical background or talent? Perhaps this is why the percentage is so low when it comes to inventing. Of course, there are "one-hit-wonders" in the song writing world, but these are also folks with musical experience and talent. Maybe what is needed is an inventor boot-camp, where people could go to learn about inventing. I'm not talking about bringing their current project to try to take it to market. I'm talking about learning how to identify a need in the market. How to gage the potential of the opportunity. How to assemble a "team", if necessary, to find the solution to the need. Where to find capital. How to present ideas for licensing...which is the same, in my opinion, as learning how to assemble a team, whereby the vital team member is the manufacturer. If this can be done, then perhaps this "school" will eventually produce alumni that become true "song-writers" in the inventing world, with multiple products in the market.

RSG

TJ Check out this company

Postby Work2XL » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Here is another company that sells safety products that called me today. I believe the sales person's name was VC. The company is Airgas the sales number for a catelog and or samples is 800 445-3711 ext 3645
The site is http://www.airgas.com/home.aspx

Randy

Boot Camp

Postby Work2XL » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:16 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Actually Road here in denver there are a couple of inventor groups. One of them does offer a "Boot Camp" for inventors. I haven't been to it yet but have been to one of thier meetings. I was very informative.

Randy

Inventor

Postby 5letgazdag » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:53 pm

5letgazdag
White Belt

Hello to everybody ! your Tu person to help How could I find supporters to carrying out of my gags ?

Inventor

Postby 5letgazdag » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:55 pm

5letgazdag
White Belt

I’m sorry to disturb you.
Previous