FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

Re: Pitchmen

Postby ProfVonForster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:37 am

ProfVonForster
White Belt

TV, contests, & stuff...

Hi gang; let's always keep in mind that ANY television show is just that- a "TV Show". Commercials, too. With all the scripting, editing and directing; it can be hard to filter out what's strictly entertainment vs. everything else. I have been involved in the production end of an infomercial for a MLM vitamin / supplement company from years ago... They, of course, are ancient history now- and the amount of pure schlock that went into it (the infomercial) was laughable, even for me- a guy who helped in making it!! I also just spoke to an inventor who (independent of this site), sadly, was taken for a VERY expensive ride regarding one of his ideas. I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially told me this: In regards to infomercials, it doesn't [the product] need to even WORK! It ONLY needs to sell for "$19.95" and look GOOD on television... Now, I am not trying to throw a bunch of cold water on this route, and there are plenty of products that have sold big-time. I have a few in my home right now! (gifts). My favorite?? The "Infinity Razor" LMAO! Puh-leeeeez! Obviously, we need to be careful at every step of our venture(s).

I read somewhere that in the case of "sharks", the producers are way MORE interested in highlighting the individual personalities and stories of the contestants, than being an educational device with the purpose of helping folks like us.When you sign their contract(s), you're agreeing to A LOT!! And true, whatever it takes to get ratings is going to take precedence. It needs to be "good television", yeah?

I just would hope that if ANY inventor is going to use DRTV or a contest of any kind to aid in their individual progress- to be SURE that that is the BEST option for them; when there could be others available. No offense to anyone- and for those who have had it work for them, mucho congratulations and kudos. OK- just my opinion. Love to you all!

NEVER GIVE UP!!!
-ProfVonForster

Postby jackbnimble56 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:54 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Prof

I have NO problem throwing cold water on this route! You're correct for the most part when you say:

"In regards to infomercials, it doesn't [the product] need to even WORK! It ONLY needs to sell for "$19.95" and look GOOD on television..."

But that simply isn't good enough for me! I think I can honestly say that if I had a product being considered for DRTV I would pass on the deal before I would let anyone cheapen it to the point where I wouldn't want my name associated with it!

I understand that some inventors are their own worst enemies when it comes to be being too inflexible to changes being recommended for the "their babies", but I feel a line has to drawn somewhere. I think that days of cheap, disposable products are rapidly drawing to close as people slowly begin to realize we have start making products the way we USED to back during the steam powered days of the industrial revolution. Back then when so much equipment was steam powered it had to be very ruggedly built and consequently it was built to last!! There's a new trend emerging called "Steampunking" which has been described as “Jules Verne meets Steve Jobs”. People have already started re-engineering things to run with steam power and redesign common everyday items to look and perform as though they were made back in that era. A local news channel near me just did a big story on it. You can watch a little snippet in the form of a promo here:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/2 ... etail.html

And you can read more about it here:

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a trend towards higher quality products built to last! For reasons such as sustainability and reducing out impact on the environment as well as the need to make our precious resources last longer, we NEED to start going back to ways things were while maintaining a nice balance with the benefits technology has given us! At the very least we owe it to our children and grandchildren…

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby ProfVonForster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 am

ProfVonForster
White Belt

Hi, Jack and friends. "They don't make 'em like they used to!" For sure. The steampunk phenomenon is huge- and the genre is, well- very cool! I am a big fan myself. But what you say is a very important point, and if we look at the history of certain products over the years- the trend IS (thankfully) swinging back to quality over a "quick sale". I do hope that more and more companies realize that in these days of instant communication- the reputation of whatever the product or service is will be known to ALL. Years ago, we had only a few resources- such as Consumer Reports, for example. Remember "Fight Back- with David Horowitz"? He would go and paint these clowns right into a corner! These companies that think they can STILL saturate the market with junk (I was going to use a stronger word) must still subscribe to the "one born every minute" (a sucker) attitude. Caveat Emptor doesn't have to apply to everything, and I certainly do not want folks to buzz about my invention that way, even if it means making less than "a million" dollars. I'm serious. Take Jack's product- sure, there must be a silicone (sorry Jack if I get this wrong!) that is "cheaper", even by a fraction of a cent! BUT- maybe it burns, discolors, becomes brittle, lets out a smell- whatever. He cares enough to not let something [like that] happen. Another company might not be so inclined to care about what happens down the road- as long as they can sell, sell, sell NOW. Forget that!

In my twenties, I did a quick stint at a printing press here in San Diego- and saw that all the equipment was at least 50+ years old, and from Switzerland. I asked "why?" The answer made perfect sense: Their [the Swiss] reputation for precision and QUALITY with intricate moving parts fully proved itself in this situation. The guy I asked about it said that "They never break.". And in my years of inventing, I have had a few products that I sold locally and online- and am PROUD to say that I've never had a complaint. I earned that, yeah?

I have recently (last night!) talked to one outfit that REALLY wants to get my stuff on that ole TV- I am going to pass. There are simply TOO many products that don't come close to their claims, and the original inventors can only stand by and watch- as their idea is cheapened and changed, gets (earns) a bad reputation, and the orders stop- stores discard the remaining merchandise, The End. Why should I sign up for that?! I could go on, and true- you need that combination of great product AND great advertising. However, if the advertising is simply designed to woo people into thinking that they're getting something that they're not- it will soon be history. Yes, I realize that products need to make profit- but this still CAN be done while keeping the quality of the product intact. I think greed gets involved. It is smart to cut costs where and when you can- that's good business. But I would rather (personally) pay just a little more KNOWING that what I bought / sold is going to perform, and last more than a couple of uses.

In my product, I use "expensive" switches. Oh, there are some out there that are a third of the price- but they fall apart quickly- they even "feel" cheap... I also don't use military or medical grade components- because that WOULD be impractical. Does that make sense? I have been long-winded; so I'll close with this: "The best PRICE is not necessarily the best VALUE". Thanks for reading.

Love to you all,
-ProfVonForster

Postby jackbnimble56 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:06 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Professor

Thanks for eloquent response, I couldn't agree more!

Jack
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/
Previous