FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Re: "Shark Tank" Contest

Postby ATtheLake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 am

ATtheLake
Yellow Belt

Jack!

I love your response post about Shark Tank! I couldn't have said it better myself. Although I do like watching the show! I think nearly anything on major networks is pure entertainment value...

Postby inventor-x » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:48 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

Another little update about Shark Tank

RBG - I hope you still check-in once in awhile :?:

ABC business reality series coming to Canada on the A Channel network.

TORONTO – Canada’s CTV has acquired ABC’s Shark Tank, executive produced by Mark Burnett, for its secondary A Channel network.

The acquisition sets up local competition for another Canadian business reality series, Dragon’s Den on the rival CBC, that features two Shark Tank judges, financial expert Kevin O’Leary and tech investor Robert Herjavec.

CTV’s acquisition comes as Shark Tank adds billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban and comic Jeff Foxworthy as guest sharks.

Shark Tank will air here on Fridays at 8 p.m. on the A channel stations after a sneak peak episode on March 20.

Postby StephenKey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm

StephenKey
Blue Belt

I love Shark Tank, and Jack it's all about entertainment.Pitching an idea/product in front of others is an art.
Award Winning Inventor Stephen Key - http://www.inventright.com
Stephen's new book "One Simple Idea" from McGraw-Hill is available in stores nationwide as well as online.

Postby inventor-x » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:22 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

Stephen - You have got to be kidding me :?:

Jack’s post is about a third (1/3) correct.

Another third (2/3) is about how much MONEY the Investors will make off of any Idea/Invention/Product pitched for any Reality TV show.

The remaining third (3/3) for a Reality TV show is about - Personality & the Product but more Importantly before anyone gets on Television the most Important thing everyone has to be cleared through a background check which Includes Facebook, Dating websites & Police records because the Networks DO NOT want any Negative backlash about WHO they are Promoting - Which has NOTHING TO DO with the Idea/Invention/Product being pitched or how much money Investors will make.

There use to be a complete American Inventor Contract for viewing on this website but it has been removed.

I have a copy of that Contract to verify what I am saying - But I will NOT post it.

This brings me to my point about Contracts - It ALWAYS falls apart when it comes to Legal Contracts.

One (1) of Roger Brown’s Lessons covered this subject.

Another big drawback is what YOU & Mark like to try to DO which is - Re-Designing the Idea/Invention/Product being submitted & presented by the Inventor to YOU which DOES NOT really make it THEIR Idea/Invention/Product anymore by legal Definition it makes it a joint or (Co-Inventor) Idea/Invention/Product.

Postby inventor-x » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

A little bit of an article I stumbled across about auditioning for Shark Tank that some of you might find Interesting :?:

You make a videotape & you send it to them & then there is a series of questions they want you to answer.

It is all about TV at that point & how you can convey what you are doing.

How Interesting is the product :?:

Then there is a series of post Interviews.

Finally they send you a request to be on the show ALONG WITH A (47-PAGE) CONTRACT TO SIGN.

Spend three (3) days at the Sony Studio doing presentations & being quizzed by a group of people so you get the Idea of what you are getting into.

Nothing prepares you for the Shark Tank.

The Sharks had been beating on people for a week & while you are waiting for your turn you can hear them in the other room just tearing people apart.

It is definitely designed to be “Watch these people sweat it out” They love that part for sure.

You have five people firing questions at you, sometimes two or three at a once.

They definitely want to put you on your toes.

Even though a lot of the things they may say you know are completely wrong, you have to make a decision.

Do you diminish your opportunity by arguing with them or just try to let it go & get through it :?:

American Inventor’s Contract was about (30-Pages).

Pitchmen’s Contract - I do NOT know but the show was more Educational then the Greedy Venture Capitalists (VC’s) on Shark Tank in my opinion.

Postby jackbnimble56 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 pm

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

Stephen

I get that pitching is an art. I also get that how one pitches a product has a lot to do with whether or not a person is successful. But as you yourself concurred, the show is about entertainment first. I think the mistake that many novices make is getting a little too caught up in shows like Shark Tank, Dragon's Den, etc. and may lose sight of the fact that developing and marketing products takes lot of leg work and due diligence as I'm sure Roger can attest...

Jack
Last edited by jackbnimble56 on Wed May 25, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby inventor-x » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

I will admit being photogenic is a plus but the guy in your photo is not that bad looking because he looks alot like Kevin O’Leary & your avatar photo has a GQ look which makes you look alot better than both of them put together :)

Jack you are correct that looks should not matter - but it does :?

Jack - Hell, I threw my hat in the ring after all, no ventured nothing gained, right?

I take it by all the negative posts that Magic Toob was NOT considered for the Shark Tank show :?:

I will also admit that the show Shark Tank is a big joke & every Inventor that did NOT take a deal & walked away did the right thing.

The most Important thing I have noticed in this years new episodes is that the Sharks for the most part are not trying to get (50%) percent or more from the products from the Inventors

Nice update about Leslie

Postby jackbnimble56 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 am

jackbnimble56
Brown Belt

X

I think there's a bit more to it than being photogenic although because it's television, that will always be important I suppose. Hmmm... am I ready for my close-up? :wink:

Jack
Last edited by jackbnimble56 on Wed May 25, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nimble Jack Enterprises - Innovative Solutions to Everyday Problems
To purchase the Magic Toob product visit: http://www.magictoob.com/

Postby Roger Brown » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

The issue you are bringing up is in anything you watch, listen to or read.
It is not just TV and the persons looks it is the HOOK that brings you in. A story that reads "Man mauled by Tiger in India" Your first impression is its India and that happens because Tigers live there. If the story reads " 5 year old boy mauled by Tiger in California swimming pool" That would get your interest.
It is all about how you sell it.
I was business partners with a 17 year old computer whiz kid running a children's email filtering company. I had no problem using the right HOOK to get the media to pay attention to us. If I came to them as the CEO of the company it would have been "okay, so you have filered email for kids. What else do you have?" Knowing how media works instead I came to them from the viewpoint of Would they like to talk to the President of Twotoads.com who is 17 still in high school and this is his second company? That was my HOOK and it worked everytime. We were in the New York Times, Business weekly magazine, Parade magazine, Wired and many many more. Why? Because I found the HOOK that media wanted. It is all about ratings and getting the story before the other guy.
Which one will get more media, a man who has set up a foundation for homeless kids or a 87 year old woman who wrestles alligators for a living?

I didn't care if I was mentioned in any of the articles as long as they got the name of the website right. Below are just a few of the articles I got us just by using the HOOK.
I have what I call a face made for radio. I know I don't have that model look that makes for great TV but I do know what works. My HOOK today is not the fact that I have seven products on the market with two more on the way. It is that fact I have done it spending less than $100 on each and some as low as $8. How many other Inventors can make that claim and have actually done it? Then once I get the media to pay attention I can back up my claims with experience, knowledge and actual help for other Inventors.
Jack you need to find your HOOK with your product and use it to your advantage to get your message out there.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/20 ... 7927.shtml

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news ... ntPage=all

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/mag ... menon.html

http://www.fastcompany.com/articles/200 ... mcgee.html
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby inventor-x » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:45 am

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Hi All

April 22nd - Friday
April 23rd - Saturday
April 29th - Friday

8pm
PreviousNext