FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Sold 40 this weekend!

Postby 5rocks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:48 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Well. I attended the 35th annual Iola Old Car Show and Swap meet. It is the 2nd largest in the nation with over 4,500 vendors. It was our first time offering our product for sale and we pre-sold 40 of them! Holy cow! A couple of thousand people saw the chair system and really like it. The only reason I am posting this topic here is because there was at least 100 people that told me I should try out for American Inventor. I just laughed and said, "that is funny you say that because I was a top 24 finalist on season #1". I even had people who wanted me to sign the brochures I was handing out. It was an absolutely amazing weekend and validates everything I have been working towards so far. Good luck to everyone else in pursuing their dreams!

Pat Rock
www.thetakeaseat.com

Postby Michelle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:05 am

Michelle
Black Belt

Hi Pat:

Congratulations!!

It just goes to show how great an idea you have. I think the challenge for many here is the issue of distribution and getting the word out.

We will have to figure out a really good way to help and see what we can do.

Michelle

Postby mojo62 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:24 am

mojo62
Black Belt

That is great. I have a similar story. I auditioned, but did not make it past the first round. I sold just under 700 of my product over four weekends at a local flea market. People told me the same thing, that I should go on that inventor show. I had at least 2000 other people that saw my product and thought it was great. I did the flea market to see if there was a market. It was after that, I decided to move ahead with my patent work and development. I am doing a C-I-P, so I am not openly giving details over international internet as of yet. I am getting close on the patent and making video of my product for a website which will launch in the near future. My product sells for a few dollars. I am looking for an investor to do an infomercial launch, I have an appointment to talk to two angel investors in the next two weeks. Regardless of investors or not, I will market it myself. Good luck to you. I have read your story many times and that helps inspire me also.

Postby 5rocks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:33 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Thanks Michelle and Mojo. I really appreciate the support. It is gratifying when someone says they like an invention that is made by you. It is absolutely amazing when they want to buy it! I heard things like 'cool', 'what will they think of next' and 'wow, that is clever', the whole weekend! It really gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment, which is what we all strive for as inventors. It is great to have this site to help out each other and celebrate inventing.

Pat

Postby Road Show » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Fantastic Pat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now this is what I would say is the thing we should all be working for...getting this done for ourselves. Why settle for the crumbs (royalties) if you can clearly identify and reach your target market?

Rock on, dude!

RSG

Postby mojo62 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Pat,
Do you have these made in the U.S.A. ?

Postby 5rocks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:58 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Unfortunately, they have to be made overseas. I am using an American manufacturer that has a factory in China. 9 out of 10 manufacturers in the U.S. won't even quote on my product and the ones that do are so high that nobody would be able to buy them from me. That is the biggest thing I hate about bringing a product to market these days. The good thing is, the units produced have to hold up to the standards that I place on them or they won't be sold here. Most of the money I pay to have them made will stay in the United States. I will not say how much that is, but I will tell you that out of what I pay per unit, a few dollars(literally, under $5) goes to China and my retail price is $299.95 per unit. Most of the money is going to the American company I have contracted.

p.s. I had a potential investor give me hell about having them made there until I shut him up and reminded him that his car came directly from Germany! I don't have much tolerance for hypocrites. Thanks for asking
Mojo.

Pat

Postby mojo62 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:08 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Hey, it was invented in the U.S. though. I totally understand, I may have to do the same thing. I am just always curious about new U.S. inventions and where they are made. Thanks for answering. If there is anything I can do to help you market in the Dallas area, let me know. I would be glad to show it to any potential customers around here. Your web site shows it well though. But if anyone around here wanted to see one live, I would do that for you for free, no strings attached.

Regards,
JM

Postby 5rocks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:36 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Thanks Mojo. What I think I am going to need to do is have people in key areas where N.F.L. and M.L.B. games are played. I would set them up with a trailer and all of the necessary signs, brochures, etc....and they could sell them direct. I would pay them per chair. I will be at every Green Bay Packer game, but that leaves me with over 200 N.F.L. games that I cannot be at. I really think, this product is best sold directly where it is used although we will sell through our site and retailers as well. I think Dallas could use a good Take-A-Seat promoter. What do you think?

Thanks again Mojo!

Pat

Postby mojo62 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:43 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Hey, I'm sure you have thought about sports logo's on these too!!! I would buy a St. Louis Cardinal baseball one. Just have to be careful about selling without a permit at games. Showing it and handing out some brochures shouldn't be too much of a problem. I doubt I could set up for you, but you can place ads for that part. I am willing to show any buyers (retailers) that would require a live viewing though.

Regards,
JM
Next