FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby Contextion » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:29 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

Freemantle only looks out for their self and their image. They do not really care about the inventors. I presented an idea better than any others shown so far and they turned me down because they were not looking for what the claimed to be looking for. If they cared about inventors dont you think they would communicate with us inventors here on this website? No they tell you lies and trick you into spending loads of money just to go wait in line so it will look good with the cameras. If they cared about inventors they would do the selection process over the internet free of charge.

Postby 5rocks » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:43 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Contextion,
You hit the nail on the head!

Postby AmericanCynic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:39 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

In their defense, I would think that Net-based selection would be even more of a nightmare for them. Having to go in person weeds out those who aren't serious about their "inventions." It shows at least some determination. Also, they can limit the submissions if you have to be there in person. Online, they would probably get flooded with even more half-baked ideas from people who would use different names and addresses if Fremantle tried to impose any kind of submission limit. There would be no way to verify who's who and who really owned what idea, since you can't check IDs and sign affidavits and contracts online.

Interested In Class-Action Lawsuit Against Freemantle

Postby Boom Man » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Boom Man
White Belt

I am interested in finding an attorney who would be interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Freemantle Media.

And I'm not interested in any monies obtained from such because in a class action suit, the proceeds get divided pretty thin.

However, there needs to be justice done against Freemantle Media. They are bad for inventing and inventors, and give inventors a bad name. And make us look like we are all kooks and wacky. That's not good for the economy, because as you know, the USPTO is actually a division of the U.S. Dept. of Commerce. The entire patent process for example was created to encourage inventors to come foward w/ the inventions for technology advancement and commerce. The AI show does just the opposite.

There was injustice and damage done against me and thousands of other inventors by Freemantle Media. For example (and I'm not the only one but:) I wasted:
1. Time (personal)
2. Time (restructured, i.e. time off from work that would have been better used/saved
3. Money (because I bought products that I otherwise would not have to display/ create certain aspects of my invention because of time restraints
4. Money (Travel, i.e. gas, hotel, rental car)
5. Emberassment (Because though most inventors especially seasoned inventors know that the AI show is not premier or sanctioned, others will look at the show and think the winners of such show are "Real Champion Inventors" while anyone else is even worse than the wacky inventors who actually "made it."I

I want Freemantle punished. Not just for me, but to help save the desire to invent the way the U.S Dept. of Commerce intended. You do that by encouraging inventing by the prospect of rewards of monetary and recognition. The A.I. show ridicules inventors, and only offers a single top prize of 1 million dollars. How does that encourage inventing? You will encourage more people to play the lottery a hundred times over.

So if anyone would like to help get this justice rolling please provide any information you can. I've never filed any lawsuits before, but I know this can be done even against Freemantle Media.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:07 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

"Having to go in person weeds out those who aren't serious about their "inventions." ."

So, just because you show up makes you more serious than others who couldn't make the trip for one reason or another? I don't buy it. If anything, those who chose NOT to exploit their inventions on the show show a bit more seriousness by not risking the credibility of their idea by trying to get it on a reality tv show. If people don't learn that by the end of this season then they (FreeMantleMedia) must be getting down to the stock of inventors they are really looking for, namely the real kooks and whackos who are just looking to be humiliated and not necessarily interested in having their inventions speak for themselves.

I actually believed the show would have picked some really practical inventions. You know, ones that could be made tomorrow and people would actually use. When I auditioned I didn't think I'd have to jump through hoops and do little tricks for the audience (like cry or get mad). But as we're slowly finding out they are picking the characters and emotions behind the inventions and not the invention based on it's merits as a popular product. Like I've said many times, they should get the public involved much earlier in the process. They should have phone-in voting early and often. As one person mentioned somewhere else they can make money from that as they do on American Idol.

Just because someone doesn't seem "serious" about their invention by not auditioning for the show doesn't automatically make it a bad product. I remember the audition process even included phone-in auditions so why not have internet submissions? It would give the producers more time to research... :roll: wait, what the hell am I talking about? Like they really care about the inventions! The reason they have you show up is to size-up your character and entertainment potential.

Instead of a class action lawsuit (which I believe hasn't got a leg to stand on anyway) we should start a campaign to stop people from auditioning and come here instead. Sort of like Howard Stern's campaign to discredit AIdol... Hey Michy, there's your headline! :shock:

This place is free, practical, a good resource of information, not trying to pull the wool over anbody's eyes (on the contrary we're trying to remove any veils or clouds), not interested in selfish motives, prettymuch open and transparent, and it's popularity is increasing daily. That's much more than I can say for the show and as far as seriousness goes, I think this place is as serious as a heartattack give or take a few silly comments here or there :lol: (ok so it's more here than there but it's all good)

Postby Michelle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:54 am

Michelle
Black Belt

I take issue with your taking issue. ;)

But don't disagree that if you think your invention is worthy, it's worth investing in finding a good lawyer to help you throughout the process.

That being said, not all lawyers are equal and they is a wide disparity in the quality of abilities, expertise, experience with lawyers and you really need to spend the time to find the right one or its basically throwing your money away.

An everyday general litigation lawyer is not what you are looking for.

Michelle

Postby Road Show » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:12 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

The reality of the situation is that YOUR decision alone is what prompted you to try out for the show. Whatever expense was incurred was a decision YOU made, and now YOU want someone else to pick up the tab because you aren't happy with the results. I HATE cry babies. IF you find a lawyer willing to help you get over your damaged ego, don't be surprised if he is incompetent to stant toe to toe with the lawfirm employed by Freemantle. My advise to you is simply this: GROW UP.

RSG

Postby 5rocks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 am

5rocks
Green Belt

Season #1 contestants didn't know about the format until it was too late. Anyone that tried out for season #2 and felt as though they were taken advantage of has no excuse for being angry at anyone. You all should have known what you were getting into. If you watched the show last year, it was easy to see how people were ridiculed at times. I feel badly for the people who's drams were crushed, but please listen to what we all write here. IT IS NOT ABOUT YOUR INVENTION JUST AS AMERICAN IDOL IS NOT ABOUT THE SINGER. IT IS ABOUT RATINGS! I have written this several times on this site. Trust me. I went throught this last year and saw it first hand. People that had viable inventions, but no back/sob story didn't get air time.

Pat

Postby AmericanCynic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:26 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:So, just because you show up makes you more serious than others who couldn't make the trip for one reason or another? I don't buy it. If anything, those who chose NOT to exploit their inventions on the show show a bit more seriousness by not risking the credibility of their idea by trying to get it on a reality tv show. If people don't learn that by the end of this season then they (FreeMantleMedia) must be getting down to the stock of inventors they are really looking for, namely the real kooks and whackos who are just looking to be humiliated and not necessarily interested in having their inventions speak for themselves.

This is true only in the auditions. Look at the final four last year. Are you calling any of them kooks or wackos? Even the semi-finalists like Jodi, Sharon, Edward or Sheryl? You can't make blanket statements like all they want is wackos when the winners along the way are anything but.

Just because someone doesn't seem "serious" about their invention by not auditioning for the show doesn't automatically make it a bad product.

I never said it did. But if you're not even willing to show up for the possibility of winning, it's quite possible you don't have the dedication to go through the entire invention process. What other risks are you unwilling to take? Many an invention has shrivelled on the vine simply because the inventor was half-hearted and never took the steps needed to bring it to market, or was too scared to risk anything.

Instead of a class action lawsuit (which I believe hasn't got a leg to stand on anyway) we should start a campaign to stop people from auditioning and come here instead. Sort of like Howard Stern's campaign to discredit AIdol... Hey Michy, there's your headline! :shock:

This place is free, practical, a good resource of information, not trying to pull the wool over anbody's eyes (on the contrary we're trying to remove any veils or clouds), not interested in selfish motives, prettymuch open and transparent, and it's popularity is increasing daily. That's much more than I can say for the show and as far as seriousness goes, I think this place is as serious as a heartattack give or take a few silly comments here or there :lol: (ok so it's more here than there but it's all good)

Unfortunately, beyond all that, there's not much else. Has anyone gotten any angel financing here? I doubt anyone gotten anything more than useful feedback from other users on this site. Are you, in fact, saying it was a bad idea for Janusz to audition for the program last year? 12 people received a total of $600,000 to develop their inventions. Any of those twelve would tell you that it was worth it. Beyond that, all of them and even others who didn't make it into the semifinals received free nationwide publicity they could never have afforded on their own.
Last edited by AmericanCynic on Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:59 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I was going to leave a short sarcastic reply but I think you deserve more than that. :D

"Look at the final four last year. Are you calling any of them kooks or wackos?"

No.

"You can't make blanket statements like all they want is wackos when the winners along the way are anything but."

Why didn't you wait for me to answer that first question before you made such a strawman statement? Aren't you getting a little ahead of yourself? Besides, you never clarified what you were talking about when you mentioned, "This is true only in the auditions.". You quoted four... well one was sort of a run-on sentence, so we'll call it five sentences. You're twisting my words to suit your apparent need to argue.

"I never said it did."

Fair enough.

"But if you're not even willing to show up for the possibility of winning, it's quite possible you don't have the dedication to go through the entire invention process."

Talk about a blanket statement. :roll:

"Many an invention has shrivelled on the vine simply because the inventor was half-hearted and never took the steps needed to bring it to market, or was too scared to risk anything. "

Are you referring to the 98% of inventions sitting idle in the USPTO? If you are, then all they have to do is go on AI season 3, right?

"Has anyone gotten any angel financing here? "

A bit impatient, aren't we?

"I doubt anyone gotten anything more than useful feedback from other users on this site. "

Should I correct your grammar, or stick to the argument??? Grammar??? Argument??? Grammar??? Argument???

"Are you, in fact, saying it was a bad idea for Janusz to audition for the program last year?"

Uhhh, no. Not for Janusz. It was a bad idea for the show to pick him as a finalist and get the American voters' hopes up that his was a viable, mass marketable invention. Where is it? Why is it not in stores by now? Such a magnificent piece of technological gadgetry mentored by that innovation mover and shaker himself H3. You're rushing to judgement as to why this site has produced no success stories as of yet, so why are you giving the show so much leeway? Especially with the millions of viewers and stratospheric budget in comparison to the one at ISpot.

"12 people received a total of $600,000 to develop their inventions. Any of those twelve would tell you that it was worth it."

I'm sure they would. And beyond that, what?

"Beyond that, all of them and even others who didn't make it into the semifinals received free nationwide publicity they could never have afforded on their own."

Oh, ok. That sounds reasonable, but what's it got to do with all the 10K others who didn't get anything? Sounds like they could've had maybe one hundred people audition, 80% could've been whacko fodder, 10% could've had good inventions but weren't tv friendly and 10% could've been just right. The rest of the 9,900 people could come here and save themselves a bunch of frustration and embarassment and still show how serious they are about their inventions.
PreviousNext