FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby 5rocks » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:18 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Thanks, also to you Road Show for your nice comments!

Pat

Postby AmericanCynic » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:15 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

There would be a couple of problems with putting team logos on those. One is that it means you have to carry more inventory if there's more than one model. But the bigger problem is that team logos are registered trademarks. You would have to license them or risk being sued for infringement. At current quantities, I don't think it's worth it to hire the attorney and negotiate the licensing fee.

Postby Road Show » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Actually, Cynic, it might surprise you to know that licensing "per use" deals is actually quite common. Years ago I met a guy who was making reproduction Coca Cola ice box coolers...the kind where the old wooden bottle crates would go underneath for the empties. They were decorated with the Coca Cola logo and all. Knowing that he was a small player, I asked him how he was able to get the license to use the logo, and he said he contacted their licensing department and worked out an arrangement to pay $25.00 for every reproduction ice box he built using their logo. Perhaps Pat could find a similar opportunity with the NFL...or even some popular college teams. Nothing wrong with asking... a positive attitude and a little humility go an awful long way.

RSG

Additional idea for 5Rocks

Postby iceman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:40 pm

iceman
White Belt

To go along with reply to Cynic, Takeaseat may even be able to use off the shelf adhesive or applique type team logos (or any kind of logo for that matter), which may even circumvent the licensing problem if they offered the logos as an add on purchase that the customer could apply themselves. This would also do away with the need for large inventories of various chairs, since the appliques could be applied to any chair. Other logos might include non profit groups (for which a percentage could be donated, thereby supporting good works as well as building good will), college sports, non-mainstream sports, entertainment groups, favorite hobbies, etc. So just wanted to throw that in for consideration :idea: :D

Postby 5rocks » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Hi. One nice thing about our product is that the fabric material comes off quickly to change colors. What we want to do is have it so we would sell the team colors/logos seperately and not have to stock the whole chair system with specific colors. Our basic system will be black on black(black fabric on a black powdercoated frame). To start, we are going for the Wisconsin Badger, Marquette and Illinois. Then we will branch out from there. The N.F.L. does not make any exceptions. It takes 3 years to gain licensing rights with them unless we to umbrella under another company with existing n.f.l. rights. The Packer Pro Shop can't even put them in their own store until they are licensed. We will be at the Packer home games and will have Take-A-Seats with a yellow frame and forest green material for now. We also are approaching each Nascar team at the moment. If I didn't have a regular full job career at the moment, I could constantly work on this venture.

Pat

Postby mojo62 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:50 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Pat,
It's obvious you have done your homework and have worked hard to keep your product in the works. Are looking to sell, license or keep it for yourself ? I know what you mean about working full time and working on your invention at the same time. It's tough and at times I let mine sit idle for awhile. I showed my product to some companies early on and they seemed very interested in the item. I learned some things and would not have shown my product at all if I new then what I know now. At the the time, I didn't realize how much prior art there was related to my product and am still doing a continuation-in-part application with a broader independant claim. Anyway, I know where your coming from and admire your persistance with your product. The successful inventors are the ones that keep believing and keep working. I think a lot of companies overlook good products and wait inventors out for whatever reasons. I have been told that when something starts making money is when it gets noticed and that is when potential deals arise. I think you will end up doing very well with this. Keep it up !!!!......JM Oh, by the way, I also like your seat for a fishing bench!!!!!
Previous