FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

American Inventor Does Not Promote Your Product.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:06 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Don't be fooled by those who would have you believe the show is going to promote your invention and be a major factor in your success. Going on the show may be a great experience but it can also turn out to be a horrible one too. It can present you (and usually does) in the worst possible way, remember BullitBall? How about the guy with the steak toaster just the other night? They totally mocked the guy and made a spectacle of his awkward moments. They even made sure you saw him poke his finger and all his nervous twitches. I'm surprised I haven't seen a closeup of sweat stains on people... or have I? I believe it would cook faster if it slid into an enclosed space sort of like a sideways toaster oven in order to keep the heat in and speed up cooking time.

Some people might say, "Well at least they tried and showed how serious they were by auditioning." and to that I'd say,,,??? how about "Poppycock!" (what the heck does that mean anyway :lol: ).

If anything, associating yourself with this show is only going to wind up steretyping your invention and determination. The show highlights the awkward moments, the "sad" inspirational aspects of the inventors' motives, it makes fun of people who may not have done all their homework and/or don't have a truly solid idea. How many times have you seen a quick montage of what might have been a very good idea and then never see them again? THAT is the most anybody can expect from the show, so take a deep breath and think twice.

What are the chances you'll be seen at all or even in a way that actually benefits you? In my opinion, it's not worth the time, $ and risk of damaging your invention. show how serious you are about your invention and don't shoot for the easy way out. It ain't gonna happen. And don't forget the slick moves they pull once you are totally involved in the auditioning process when they "conveniently" remind you of certain intellectual property standards of disclosure at the last minute and then shove a contract in your face along with the five million dollar threat ( I say let'em sue you :wink: ) with no time to actually think it over.

Don't think your chances of being seen in a positive way, long enough to actually promote your product by millions of viewers, are that great or even worth the small enjoyment you might get from gaining 8 pounds in Hollywood. (Yes Pat, that was pointed directly at you :lol: ) Why not just come here? You don't have a computer? Well then I guess the only inventors the show would have to audition would be those without computers. :P :arrow: That's ok, let Peter have 'em! :lol: :arrow: Why shouldn't people with computers show their inventions here and ignore next season of AI2? The show is a stain on our credibility and should be ignored.

I'm not saying no one should ever audition for an inventor oriented competition in the future. I am saying this particular one is not designed to highlight the majority of the auditions, other than a few, in a positive or actually beneficial way. This show is slapstick and we're the stooges.

Postby Road Show » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:48 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

American Inventor is to inventing what the lottery is to financial planning.

RSG

Postby AmericanCynic » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:58 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Geez. Now I know you're on a personal vendetta. Is it really necessary to start topic after topic knocking the show? You didn't like the way you were treated. We get it. You claim you want inventors to come here instead of auditioning for AI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't anybody who's already reading your diatribe already be here?

Hey, I have an idea. If you really want AI to go down in flames, why don't you ask SethPlattner to stop liveblogging the show? Why don't you ask Michelle to eliminate the AI section of the forum and delete the archives? Why give the show any attention, right?

Go on Road

Postby Work2XL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:33 am

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Don't hold back Road tell us what you really think. I personally prefer scratch tickets or filling out credit card apps for all my financial short term planning needs. For long term planning my psychic told me to tack up the stock section to my wall and throw darts to determine my picks. At tax time I apply to all of the TV game shows.

Randy

Postby Road Show » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Randy,

You seem to be the ideal candidate for American Inventor. Have you considered auditioning?? LOL

RSG

Turned down

Postby Work2XL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:16 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

I died my hair orange, submitted my story about my pet gold fish that was accidentally flushed down the toilet because it was miss diagnosed by my mom when I was a kid. And sent them the plans for my gold fish defibrillator for home use. I'm sure I could have gotten the price point down to under $500 per unit. That is half of what a Human defibrillator costs, plus mine can recharge your cell phone when not in use. Plus of course it plays MP3's.

They sent me a letter asking me not to show up for the interview. I wasn't far enough out on the fringe to even make it to a commercial for the show.

I'll try again next year with my new idea on how to sell sub beach property 21 miles off the coast of the pacific. It is no man's land right now. I think I can get it cheap, then advertise the protection from harmful UV rays with out sunblock. Plus it is silicone rich, I could mine it and sell it to silicone valley.

What do you think

Randy

Postby Road Show » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Randy,

I think Simon Cowell is developing his own goldfish defribrillator as we speak. He will make millions off it selling them in Japan to unsuspecting Koi fish enthusiasts. Little will they learn, until it's too late, that Simon did not understand the whole concept of low voltage, and the Koi fish were electricuted instead. Simon will lose his empire by the time the class action lawsuits are settled.

RSG

The joke is on them

Postby Work2XL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

If Simon's unit is high voltage, then they can't even eat it because they only eat raw fish.

Postby bottleslingguy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:45 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't anybody who's already reading your diatribe already be here?"

I'm thinking about the people who don't know us yet.

"Hey, I have an idea."

Those were bad ideas. Why don't I just keep bad mouthing the show? (feel free to quote me where I'm wrong on this at anytime AC)

It is what it is

Postby Work2XL » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Don't get me wrong. AI is what it is because they made it that way. As a matter of fact I really can't fault them for it. If Pepsi made a drink that tasted like urine, and half of america bought it every week when they bought groceries, why wouldn't Coke want to make one two? Look at all of the other "reality shows" count with me, 1) you can be a star, 2) american Idol, 3 & 4) the two new lyrics shows 5) America's got talent. I know there are more of them out there. I'm not knocking A. Inventor. It is what it is. If there was ANYTHING else on in it's time slot I'd watch it.

I'm not bashing AI, just poking fun at it. Say it with me, It is what it is.

Randy
Next