FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:24 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Randy I'm saying this particular reality show is not serving the small time inventor as the show would imply. It is not educating us nor helping us except for one lucky person. The others are left to fight for whatever tidbits are left to fight over. It promotes mocking us and makes us look bad as a whole. It is the bottom of the barrel as far as urine soda goes. Why would anyone here want to be associated with it any longer when there are other shows that are more realistic and respectful of individuals like us?

BSG

Postby Work2XL » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:16 am

Work2XL
Blue Belt

America's got talent usually has nothing to do with talent. American Idol has been known to push through people that shouldn't even sing at a karoke bar. I doubt singers around the country take much of an issue with it. Just accept it for what it is. Take the occasional jab at the people and the show as it deserves, give merit to the misled people who auditioned this year after watching last season and thought they had much of a chance with a legitimate idea. I would try to push Peter to get a Dragon's Den here in the US like they did in Australia and the UK.

Randy

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:38 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Ok so this show is no different than some of the other less-than-serious reality shows out there. Fine. Do you want to be associated with that? Is the show strictly for entertainment purposes? I'd say so. So in that case, if you are not that serious about your invention and even your credibility as an inventor then it wouldn't be harmful to try out for the show. But on the otherhand, if you take your invention and yourself seriously going on the show will most likely not be helpful and could even hurt your chances of success. I'm all about choices and if some folks want to take that chance I won't try to stop them.

The thing about AIdol is that the people with little real talent (like Sanjaya) are still being picked by the American public for whatever reasons. There is something likeable about them so people want to see more of them. I've said it would make AInventor more credible if they allowed voting earlier in the show. I don't see how that would be such a bad thing. If anything it would show the really popular inventions right off the bat. It wouldn't be all up to the judges to guess what kind of response any particular invention will have. Who's to say the Bathroom Survival Kit wouldn't've beat out the Anecia and it would be on shelves already?

IS Peter the only millionaire entrepreneur we have in this country? Why should we have to beg HIM for a few tidbits here and there? Why not just build this site up to its potential and then maybe some of the big guns who still see the American Dream as a priority woould come by and help some of us out. Peter couldn't care less about us. I don't get it why so many people want to suck up to this guy and his idiotic show.

Not associated with it.

Postby Work2XL » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

BSG,
I don't consider myself associated with AI or this site either for that matter. Maybe it is, but I didn't think so. As for whether or not I'd go on the show with an invention I took seriously, it's hard to say. It would be a trade off. Possible nationwide exposure if I play dumb but lose credibility. In this season, playing dumb probably won't get you advanced or any money. So is it and idea that could possibly win, if so, I probably wouldn't need the show. If not, play the game and see if I can get some exposure and get lucky. Good, bad, or indifferent exposure is exposure.
I would look at other outlets for exposure like The Big Idea, Everyday Edisons, or some of the other contests. Or just do what is tried and true, trade shows.

Randy

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:03 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Well the exposure issue is part of my argument. The only inventions that get any sort of real exposure are the ones the judges pick and/or have a tv friendly inventor who makes good tv. There were more good inventions that could've used the exposure that was given to the less-than-serious inventions/inventors. Only a small percentage of the serious inventions see any airtime and even out of those the show's exposure hasn't helped in any tangible way. So why take the risk AND waste your time and money?

This site is still very much tied up with the show. We just recently dropped the "American" part in the name. We still have live blogs on the show every Wednesday night. There a some season 1 rejects blogging here, etc. I say this site should formally divorce itself from the show and publicly denounce the show's implied gosend status to small time inventors. I am not into encouraging vulnerable individuals who have an invention to go on the show next year, I am encouraging them to come here. This is where they will find the most help and eventually the most exposure in front of the right people. The show is actually bad for the whole process and should not be back next year.

I disagree

Postby Work2XL » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

BSG,
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with the show if you take it for what it is. I have no problem with this site talking about it, thier projects, the lastest episode. I personally don't see how the show has any real effect on people who come up with an idea and want to pursue it. Your comparing Stan Lee with Kurt Vonnegut. Completely different worlds, and the people who have an effect on our efforts, don't live in the world AI represents. Anyone who doesn't know there are some stupid people out there with stupid ideas chooses to remain ignorant and that is thier choice.

My two.five cents.

Randy

You are right about AI

Postby Gary S » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:36 pm

Gary S
White Belt

Well guys/gals. You are right about AI. It is not designed to promote inventors or their inventions. I am Gary S. I was on the season opener this year with the Pot Sniffer.
You know, you make it through all the eliminations, and you watch people dropping right and left(even people you think have better inventions than you), and you actually start to believe the hype.
I made it to the show, they came and filmed at my house. I started to believe that this was a major pivot point for me.
I blew my pitch in front of the tv judges, so I take part of the responsibility, but in retrospect, they are looking for ratings, not inventions.
I do believe in the Pot Sniffer, but I have learned from AI also. Learned to look other places for success.

Postby mojo62 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:23 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

What's a Pot Sniffer? I bet it doesn't match my definition of a pot sniffer!

Postby Road Show » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

For any serious inventor looking to audition for AI3 (if there is a third season), I suggest partnering with the best "sob story" candidate you can find and audition as a team. That is about the only way to have a serious shot at the top spot.

RSG

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:59 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

"There is nothing wrong with the show if you take it for what it is."

I agree, its just that it implies it is much more than it really is. Contrary to what is stated in the contract, the producers would have the auditioners believe they are all going to get all this great exposure. And what they do is show minutes of a couple of the worst/not-so-great inventions and mainly the outlandish individuals. Remember the first season? Angry guy with guitar pick-up. This season's bicycle tire rims angry guy. Nutty professor types, nerd types, sprinkling of minorities, sexy, creepy-crawly, kids/animals

"I personally don't see how the show has any real effect on people who come up with an idea and want to pursue it."

That's also part of my argument. After saying you'll get all this exposure, if YOU DO it's prettymuch worthless probably due to the fact most people who might watch it don't take it seriously.

"Anyone who doesn't know there are some stupid people out there with stupid ideas chooses to remain ignorant and that is thier choice."

And those are most likely the ones without computers who wouldn't know about this site anyway, so Peter can have them. :D
PreviousNext