FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:54 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Gary, my wife and I like your invention. What is your intellectual property status?

Postby AmericanCynic » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:57 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:This site is still very much tied up with the show. We just recently dropped the "American" part in the name. We still have live blogs on the show every Wednesday night. There a some season 1 rejects blogging here, etc. I say this site should formally divorce itself from the show and publicly denounce the show's implied gosend status to small time inventors.

Interesting. When I sarcastically suggested earlier in this thread that Seth stop blogging and recapping the show and Michelle remove the featured section in the forum, you called them terrible ideas. But now you're suggesting the same thing yourself.

So, here's the challenge: Name one small time inventor who would have made it big but who is now shunned and without prospects because he or she appeared on AI. Just one. That's all I ask. Doesn't have to be one of the people who advanced. It could be somebody with a good idea who got dumped on. No, the wretched weirdos with things like the Love Test song don't count because they never would have made it, even if they boycotted AI. If you can't prove that it has caused harm to anyone's invention prospects at all, then you can't say everyone should boycott. If somebody wants to spend their time and money to audition for the show, that's their perogative. The last I knew, you weren't one of the judges and can't tell anyone that they can't possibly become a $50,000 finalist. To quote Mary Lou Quinlan, "You don't get to be the smartest person in the room!" You're arguing all about possibilities but no concrete results. "You could lose everything by appearing on AI." Prove it. "You could eventually hit it big by coming to Inventorspot instead." Prove it. I want you to show one person who has gotten even $10,000 of help here. It hasn't been one lucky person on AI. It's been two very lucky people and 16 other lucky people over two seasons. Those are still real prizes that were given out, however you want to downplay it. It's all "potential harm" vs. "potential help" with you. Show me real harm and real help. Put up or shut up.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:30 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

AC, I didn't suggest any of the things you suggested earlier and I'm not suggesting them now. I'm not going to tell anyone who blogs here or moderates this site to do anything they don't want to do. That's why I said they were bad ideas. When I mentioned them to Randy I was stating obvious truths.

"Put up or shut up."

Yeah right, I'm the one with a diatribe complex :lol: :P I'll take your comments as hostile and choose to ignore you. :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

ps

sorry couldn't pass this one up:

"If you can't prove that it has caused harm to anyone's invention prospects at all, then you can't say everyone should boycott."

First of all I can say what the HELL I wish (within reason and at least tactfully. see Michey, I'm learning :D :oops: ) and second of all you sound like a child, so will now DOUBLE ignore you!!! :wink: :?: :arrow: :idea: :!:

Postby AmericanCynic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:16 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Yes, of course. Why am I not surprised? "You're childish. I can't provide any real evidence. So I'll ignore you. I'll double ignore you. I'll triple ignore you, even. La la la la la! I can't hear you!" You can write whatever you want, but I doubt anybody's reading you after that and your big boycott campaign isn't getting any traction, although that may be academic if AI doesn't return next year.

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Ok so I don't like to be ignorant and rarely back down from a challenge, that is unless I am wrong or mistaken somehow. In this case though, AC I can't possibly be wrong.

"I can't provide any real evidence."

What more evidence do I need to provide to prove this show is nothing more than a scam and does not promote the inventions that were auditioned? It's self-evident and if you disagree with that you must be ignorant or extremely stupid OR OR have an interest in the show in some way (that's a childish double "or") OR OR OR (triple "or") just want to argue with me.

And as far as nobody reading me... that's funny :lol: Let's see how many reads/replies your most recent topic gets and see if it compares to this one. OK? I'll betcha that lollipop I win.

I think we all agree

Postby Work2XL » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we all agree. AI is not a venue for most serious people with an idea they expect to progress. It was billed that way last year, and was a disappointment. This year I haven't really paid any attention to comercials, but I know it for what it is and don't expect anything different. The America's Got Talent show is false advertising too. Who cares. BSG, I think the difference is you are taking it personally that the show isn't what you expected it to be. I chalk it up to a marketing campaign that was effective to pull in an audience from serious people that they would not have otherwise attracted if it was billed for what it is.
Summary: We agree it's not what we thought, you care about being lied to, we are used to it and don't care.

Randy

Postby AmericanCynic » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:30 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

I'm sorry, but I must have missed that memo. Nowhere do I remember being told that AI would promote any product on its show. All I remember are promises of a $50,000 prize if you're a finalist and $1 million for the final winner. They promised airtime to nobody and nothing beyond those prizes. They'd give you money to develop the invention if you're a finalist, period. Beyond that, it's all up to you. They never gave an open-ended promise to keep pushing for you in the market. Please, go ahead and prove me wrong. Find one television commercial, one line in all of AI's applications and agreements where they promise to do anything more.

And I ask again, Phil, where is the actual, real HARM? You scream, "It's a scam!" So sue them for punitive damages or call your attorney general. Oh, that's right. You can't. Because you don't have a leg to stand on. Any lawyer would laugh you out of his office. The only harm I've seen so far has been to your ego.

All I've ever written was that people should keep an open mind and make their decisions themselves as to whether they should go on AI. Never did I write that people must go on the show if they want to be successful. It's one option and no rational person would dismiss any option without weighing the risks and benefits for themselves. You, on the other hand, are singleminded in your "shut down the useless, lying bastards!" campaign.

There's a big difference between reading the topic and agreeing with you. Even Randy's got your number at this point. You're a disgruntled rejectee especially enraged by Doug Hall's dismissal of your invention and this is your revenge. You make up derogatory names for others like "Ham Head Hall" (and then have the chutzpah to call others "childish") and refuse to deal with the judges as real people, refusing to use their names and instead referring to them as "the bald guy" and "the rich guy" on your website. You can't seem to get it into your head that this may well be a big reason why no corporation wants to deal with you. It's unprofessional to badmouth others you've dealt with as if you're still in the sixth grade, and no company will risk having you do the same to them if things sour. Randy's reading you, but he's not signing on to your boycott. Nobody else is, either.

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:52 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

"AI is not a venue for most serious people with an idea they expect to progress. "

One aspect of my point. Thank you, Randy. You are the man 8)

"BSG, I think the difference is you are taking it personally that the show isn't what you expected it to be."

I'm really not taking it personally. I'm trying to help anyone who may in the future consider auditioning. I'd like to save them some time, $ and possibly the credibility of their invention while attracting more people here. THIS is where the REAL American inventors should go for exposure, information, advice and help in general. Peter Jones isn't the one who's going to open up doors for them. I am supporting this site.

It's not sour grapes on my part. I'm really over it. I'm glad I auditioned and have the experience to honestly tell people they can get caught up in the hype and illusion of stardom and celebrity. I'm trying to save them some time by cutting through all the nonsense and showing them examples of how they will most likely wind up with no exposure, no one knocking on their door, no second place finish where Freemantle promotes their invention anyway. It ain't happening. You have to get out and beat the street on your own if you are going to succeed. The show may seem to be an easy way to get there, but the odds are against it when you look at it realistically.

That is what I'm getting at with this topic. You may be telling yourself, "Well, even if I get a few seconds of exposure that's all I need." Many of us thought that, but what we got was nothing and the only inventions that get any amount of time, other than the finalists are the crazy ones. Even the finalists wind up with basically nothing. Even after going all the way to the end all they get is a bone with no real promise of anything. This show does not promote your invention and it does not do anything with your invention after the show.

This is not taking that personally, it is called looking out for the next sheep on his way to the slaughter.

"Summary: We agree it's not what we thought, you care about being lied to, we are used to it and don't care. "

The second part is completely wrong. I don't hold it against the show being deceptive and misleading. I'm aware of this pattern in television productions, but I am on a mission Randy, if you're not with me, you are against me. (that was hyperbole)

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:16 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Look, I want to apologize to anyone who may be following this or even giving it a casual glance. I'm sorry if it seems as though I am stooping to a level unbecomming of the conventional demeanor of this site. I can only hope to keep my standards at a comfortably positive state, the temptation to digress is certainly there. :) :arrow: :idea:

Dear Mr. Cynic

You said, "I'm sorry, but I must have missed that memo."

That is correct, sir. You DID miss that memo. You weren't there when the associate producers were buzzing around drumbeating the promise of exposure and how it would require our "acting" to get us noticed. I mentioned it in another topic, you must've missed that one too. :(

"They promised airtime to nobody and nothing beyond those prizes. "

And how do you know that, sir. :?

"They'd give you money to develop the invention if you're a finalist, period. Beyond that, it's all up to you. "

It's all implied. No one from season 1 participated in a live commercial sponsored by Evenflo and the other companies at the finale? And they can't even get the Anecia and the Dtract built. The million dollar winner will most likely NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY. One of the finalists was a non-starter yet the show kept it in because the backstory would hold viewers. That would be the Dtract. Notice how they spent more time telling Francisco they would "hire" him as an apprentice rather than putting the bike on the market? The show progressed an invention which should have never gone as far as it did and the bike company knew that. It was a vehicle for MaryLou to Boo-Hoo. :lol: (Bet you guys forgot about her) and had nothing to do with what a great invention it was. Let's face it, it was bad. :cry: Sorry Francisco :oops: :)

What happened with WordAce? Has anyone promoted it? What were the others? You can't tell me they dropped off the face of the Earth.

"Please, go ahead and prove me wrong."

I'm certain that will never happen. You will most likely just return for another flogging. :shock: :arrow:

"Find one television commercial, one line in all of AI's applications and agreements where they promise to do anything more."

Don't tell me you believe in tv commercials. :lol: No, don't you realize, they're much smarter than that. They wait until the sheep are good and ready and then they raise the blade by building tension with tedious waiting conditions and positions. Then once you make it to the next pen they swoop around like vultures, zooming in on the sweaty palms entwined in a nervous rub, the knees bouncing up and down like impatient fans at a red carpet event. Instructing you to not look at the cameras and act normal. The quiet chatter between auditioners is periodically broken by rehearsed exits from the staged judging room. All this while communicating to headquarters replete with producers and directors giving second by second instructions where the "action is". They shove a pretty intimidating contract in your face at the last minute warning you not to talk about the show or bad mouth it in anyway or you get sued for $5mil. They are smart, too smart to put it in writing, but believe me, it's there. Like I've said all along, it's implied.

"where is the actual, real HARM? You scream, "It's a scam!" "

I've not screamed once, dear sir. The caps I've used were to highlight a point I was making. As far as "real harm", the real harm is us encouraging others like us to audition. No, I wouldn't waste my time with a lawsuit. I can do just fine from this chair in these shorts.

"The only harm I've seen so far has been to your ego."

Wow sir! You are not only a top notch cynic, but also a psychic psychiatrist to boot! Bravo my good man! Bravo!

"All I've ever written was that people should keep an open mind and make their decisions themselves as to whether they should go on AI. "

That's funny when you consider the amount of time you spend denigrating not only my point but my personality.

"Never did I write that people must go on the show if they want to be successful."

You basically said it showed how serious they were if they auditioned.

"You, on the other hand, are singleminded in your "shut down the useless, lying bastards!" campaign. "

That sir, is the way YOU see it. It certainly is not the way it IS. (how'm I doing so far Michelle? 8) )

"There's a big difference between reading the topic and agreeing with you. Even Randy's got your number at this point."

Where did that come from? Is that some tidbit of something you've got bouncing around in the back of that cynical brain of yours? What's your train of thought here? :? I'll allow Randy to speak for himself.

"You're a disgruntled rejectee especially enraged by Doug Hall's dismissal of your invention and this is your revenge. "

That's a real stretch bro. Dougy didn't enrage me. He gave me an unlimited supply of material in which to point out the fact he was absolutely wrong with his analysis of my invention. You really haven't read that much of me to think you can make sweeping generaliztions like that and get away with it.

"You make up derogatory names for others like "Ham Head Hall" (and then have the chutzpah to call others "childish") and refuse to deal with the judges as real people, refusing to use their names and instead referring to them as "the bald guy" and "the rich guy" on your website."

And I thought I was the 'King of the Run-On Sentence'. I am flattered you took the time to read my website. Do you know anyone who might want a sling? To appease your charge of me dehumanizing the season 1 judges, to my credit, the context of the website was not geared towards fans of the show. I didn't think many of the viewers (of my website) would be intimate enough to care what their names were. The site is about my slings.

"You can't seem to get it into your head that this may well be a big reason why no corporation wants to deal with you. "

Is that the fact JACK? And here I was thinking it was my bad spelling all along. :cry:

"It's unprofessional to badmouth others you've dealt with as if you're still in the sixth grade, and no company will risk having you do the same to them if things sour."

Let me guess... :? Hey are you actually H3 in disguise? I'll bet you are Dougy himself pissed off at my YouTube video. Just wait til the next one shows up! :lol: It's already mapped out, I am still having trouble getting my camera back fixed from Circuit City. (guess I'll have to start a new campaign) If you liked the first one, Doug, you'll love this next one.

"Randy's reading you, but he's not signing on to your boycott. Nobody else is, either."

I'm sure, Rome was not built in a day. Good night sweet prince!

Postby Michelle » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

OK, this discussion is over. It's becoming too heated and personal.

Thanks for all of your passionate perspectives and insights.

AI season 2 is coming to a close. If there is no Season 3, this heated discussion will be moot, no?
Previous