FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Reading the tea leaves for Season 3 of AI

Postby AmericanCynic » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:19 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

News for anyone still interested in auditioning for American Inventor next year.

ABC has promoted senior vice presidents Vicki Dummer and John Saade to run their alternative series department, which includes their reality shows. Hard to tell what this portends for AI. Dummer and Saade did help develop the show, so maybe they'll want it back for personal reasons. Or they could decide that it's a failure and it's time to cut their losses. Best case scenario would be that they ask for it to be retooled with less nonsense, teary-eyed confessions and dead time, bringing a new, more serious sensibility. But we couldn't be that lucky.

Postby mojo62 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:29 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

What was the overall consensus of the the shows success or failure from last season? I didn't find it very appealing myself !!! Can't wait to buy my
Christmas tree fire supression system for my "live" tree this year !

MO

Postby AmericanCynic » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:41 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

I don't think anybody had a good opinion of last season, except perhaps Greg Chavez. The ratings were in the dumps, even for a summer show. The same articles talking about Dummer and Saade note that AI was part of ABC's lackluster summer.

Postby ideagirl » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:34 am

ideagirl
Green Belt

And what a shame really. Because those of us who went, know that there were tons of great, useful, and creative inventions. Most of the people were intellegent, and creative folks with a real passion for inventing.
They could have shown a bunch of great product ideas, even briefly which would have been so much more interesting, than the long walk to the
judges they showed over and over.

Maybe they should make it something like America's next favorite product.
Something that most anyone would buy, no matter how techinal, or simple. Lots of inventions that you or I would say, why didn't I think of that- dah!!

Whatever they do, I think inventing is catching popularity now. The first show did kick start the idea that anyone could invent, which I thank them for. That and Donny's D's show on CNBC. Let's hope for more good invention programing from the networks

Postby mojo62 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:54 am

mojo62
Black Belt

Good points ideagirl ! It does show that they had a different idea and motive for the show than the inventor's that auditioned had.

We really have done a lot of hacking on the show in previous thread's also. I think the other network's should make a "true" inventor's show.

MOJO

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

I don't like to sound like a broken record, but if the show is ever going to catch on with the American Public it will HAVE to get them involved MUCH earlier in the voting process. Maybe give each pre-screened (by a panel of experts not out to make themselves look good) invention the twenty-second elevator pitch with a number to text message or add to a phone number. That will tell them immediately which are popular with the viewing audience and get them more involved. It's called direct marketing and just like AIdol draws the viewers in to bond with the singer/product. It will also show a demographic for each product doing most of the footwork for post-season product adoption. Good for the show, good for the interested marketers and good for the inventors, even the "losers".

If there is an AI3

Postby inventor-x » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:01 pm

inventor-x
Brown Belt

Sorry to get on this subject so late.

The one big thing the show lacks is, NOT having a finished product to sale by the end of the show.

Some Inventors my need the $50,000 dollars to develop there products, but I believe that most of the Inventors would agree that if the product makes it to the show that it would be nice to have the opition to manufacture there product if they are at that stage in there Invention.

The one big thing I did NOT like was the FACT that the $50,000 dollars was for development ONLY, NOT for manufacturing you Invention.

I personally DO NOT think that there will be season 3 for AI.

Postby citizen » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:25 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

AI needs to take a look at Everyday Edisons. I prefer that show because it shows you the development from the initial idea, to it being on a store shelf.

Re: If there is an AI3

Postby AmericanCynic » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:06 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

inventor-x wrote:The one big thing the show lacks is, NOT having a finished product to sale by the end of the show.

Some Inventors my need the $50,000 dollars to develop there products, but I believe that most of the Inventors would agree that if the product makes it to the show that it would be nice to have the opition to manufacture there product if they are at that stage in there Invention.

The one big thing I did NOT like was the FACT that the $50,000 dollars was for development ONLY, NOT for manufacturing you Invention.

I personally DO NOT think that there will be season 3 for AI.

$50,000 is nowhere near enough to get most products into production. The Guardian Angel will need several million dollars. The bra at least a half million. Product development costs a lot of money. Tooling and materials cost even more. If anyone tries to cheap out on that, it shows in the final product. And remember the guy with the drag racer toy cars who had (over)spent $300,000 on that and still was nowhere near production? I take it you've never run even a small business. It's not cheap or easy to start one and it's a hundred times harder still to keep it going.

What may work in AI's favor is the writers strike. If it continues for four months or longer, unscripted reality shows will look very attractive to the networks. Remember, the last strike in '88 lasted five months. After four months, we'd be awfully close to the end of the TV season and it would still take more time to write new scripts and restart production on the series that have been idle.

Postby mojo62 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:42 am

mojo62
Black Belt

50K should be enough to prototype most genral products. This should show what the final product would be like, or at least close.
Next