FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Scrupulous » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:35 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Great questions!

Okay...go ahead and start posting them as topics.

Or am I missing something??

Postby CriterionD » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:21 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

We've got about 30 questions so far. IMO they should be broken down into two or three separate categories - perhaps: intellectual property, manufacturing & licensing, and "general."

From my count there should be about 12-13 questions in each of the first two categories already, only 5-6 in the "general" category. Perhaps more general entrepreneurship (i.e. business plan, branding, etcetera) questions should be added to even that out.

Two more questions I forgot to add yesterday:

What are the fees and costs associated with a patent?

Can I write my patent myself?

Postby mojo62 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:27 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Wow, look at all the work that gets done when your away for a couple of days! I won't post a bunch until the answers get caught up.

FAQ: What's the difference between a patent attorney and a patent agent ?

Postby Scrupulous » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:24 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

CriterionD wrote:We've got about 30 questions so far. IMO they should be broken down into two or three separate categories - perhaps: intellectual property, manufacturing & licensing, and "general."

CD, although those are truly distinct areas, the presumption is that every inventor will come across a concern or two in just about every area, when all is said and done. Since we can't divide a single forum in separate sub-categories, you're suggesting that a few more FAQ forums be created. There's no need to break this out any further, as that would tend to be counter-productive. What we should start doing is posting these questions in this forum, one at a time. I'll go ahead and put the announcement up.

FAQ

Postby Roger Brown » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:37 am

Roger Brown
Black Belt

add these to the list I have already posted. Thanks

17. What is a Toy Broker and what do they do?

18. What is the typical percentage an agent gets for their services?
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby CriterionD » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:22 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Scrupulous wrote:
CriterionD wrote:We've got about 30 questions so far. IMO they should be broken down into two or three separate categories - perhaps: intellectual property, manufacturing & licensing, and "general."

CD, although those are truly distinct areas, the presumption is that every inventor will come across a concern or two in just about every area, when all is said and done. Since we can't divide a single forum in separate sub-categories, you're suggesting that a few more FAQ forums be created. There's no need to break this out any further, as that would tend to be counter-productive. What we should start doing is posting these questions in this forum, one at a time. I'll go ahead and put the announcement up.

I was thinking more along the lines of creating new threads per category, within the same forum. If each question permanently receives its own thread, not all questions will necessarily stay on page 1 (although upon slightly more thought we can have up to 40 questions and still only one page, so thats not an issue). By breaking down questions my logic was that it might be easier for people to locate the question they are looking to have answered, on a page full of 30-40 questions, it may be easier for someone to overlook a question.

Its just my gut, my opinion, which shouldn't matter more than any other opinion here, and its nothing that I've spent so much time thinking about. I'll also add re-reading my comment on the issue that I don't mean to come off as too critical. I'm just too much of a perfectionist for my good at times, I acknowledge that.

I'll get around to posting hopefully a few questions within the next week.

Postby Work2XL » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 pm

Work2XL
Blue Belt

mojo62 wrote:Wow, look at all the work that gets done when your away for a couple of days! I won't post a bunch until the answers get caught up.

FAQ: What's the difference between a patent attorney and a patent agent ?

This is a good one, it is what got Scrup and I off on the wrong foot when I first joined the site. I'm glad we were able to get past my ignorance.

Another good one to start is the Difference between Copyright, TM, SM, and Patent.

I would also add one that lists Questions to ask to see if you even need a Patent. I would love to see some type of flow chart as answers to questions when they can be applied.

Randy

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Guys (and gals), whatever you think would be good, go ahead and post it. The sorting will take care of itself through the existing program. The more pertinent questions will find their way to the top of the list, one way or another.

This will be an excellent resource.

I like the thought of a flowchart, or at least a flow of answers, from one question to the next. That's why it's better to have all of them in one place, so that it can be done visually, or by linking somehow. A half-way decent keyword search on this forum (using "FAQ" as one of the terms) will get some good answers pretty efficiently.

There is beauty in simplicity. :wink:

Postby Road Show » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Road Show
Brown Belt

Another good one to start is the Difference between Copyright, TM, SM, and Patent.

Well what about the difference between ® and ™ ?

Postby Work2XL » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 am

Work2XL
Blue Belt

I think the FAQ section is great, but I'm a bit afraid that people will stop posting questions and effectively kill this forum. I think somewhere up front it should say "read these FAQ to help phrase your question better". I always saw a FAQ as a "don't ask a simular question twice" on other forums. I don't think that is the culture here and we may want to impart that up front before we kill any new posts by new people. How many new threads have been started since the FAQ that are not part of that section?
Another byproduct is I always felt that I had to read everypost ever written before I could post a question. I am too lazy to do this. Do we want to send this message? Or do others not get the same message?

Randy
PreviousNext