FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:13 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

These are valid concerns being brought up. I've already considered them, but I don't want to discourage some discussion. Now, to avoid talking about too many tangents and to give you guys a model of what I'm talking about, here's a hypothetical successful process (including a worst case scenario)...

Let's say ten members expressed an interest in private forum discussion. They went to another thread in this forum which contained the simple terms for access to the private forum. For the sake of simplicity, all it had for the terms of entry was the statement "I promise to be good". Each member "quoted" the terms in a new post following it. Each member also typed the words "I agree to these terms", dated it, and entered what is considered a signature for online agreements. (At least two other members on the site quoted the entirety of each signed agreement, and posted it on the same thread as witness to it and so that changes could not be made by the signer.)

1 So, those first 10 members were given unrestricted access to the private forum. They started bouncing ideas around, and five of them like a concept brought up by me (Scrupulous). The other four were Mojo, Levi, Citizen, and Key on the kite (kotk).

2 Then those five started hashing out ideas on this new gizmo. Scrupulous was the contributor of element A (which would not be decided until much later). Citizen added an element B, and continued the interest. Kotk quickly added C to the discussion. The three agreed that it was already something worth protecting, if protection was available. Days later, Mojo added element D, which was considered a great addition to the project. Shortly afterward, Levi offered a better way to provide element D, and it was unique enough to be called element E, even though it could be applied directly to ABC.

3 More discussion followed, and a disagreement between Mojo and Levi arose as to whether we should go down the path of element D or element E. And, after a while of mature yet heatedly persuasive debate, it was recognized on behalf of the project that ABC is waiting to be pursued. The debate rages on.

4 Scrup, citizen, and kotk soon realize that the time to take action on ABC is becoming more and more limited by a number of real factors. The three agree to make an offer to the other two to include both D and E, but not either one alone, if both are interested.

5 Levi agrees to the offer, and Mojo says screw that, you guys don't know what you're doing! Mojo signs off, but not before saying I'm going to go patent this myself!

6 So, Scrupulous, citizen, kotk, and Levi all recognize an immediate need to secure IP rights for ABCE, and to maintain the assumed option to pursue international rights as well. And it was done.

7 At the time the patent is filed, the four signed a legal joint-ownership agreement stating, for example, that each of the four get 25% of the gross revenues minus approved material costs and expenses, where all approvals must be unanimous. And it was done.

8 Two weeks later, Mojo comes back to the forum with his tail between his legs and says, look guys I take back what I said, and I'd like to be included in the deal.

ACBE inc realizes that they could add Mojo and element D to the patent application in way that it could be partially protected. The four agree to bring Mojo back in, but for a significantly lower percentage than what the four would get.

10 Mojo says, screw that!

11 Bottleslingguy, who had been given access to the private forum, says hey Mojo, just relax. There are other projects you can work on in the private forum.

12 Mojo says, stick it BSG!

13 All of this having taken place openly, within the private forum, the entire membership of the think tank decides to vote Mojo out of the think tank.

14 One of the think tank members doesn't think that's fair because of mitigating circumstances surrounding the original discussion of the gizmo.

15 The group automatically reverts to a majority vote for that decision alone. and because there are ten members at the time, the vote of the latest member to join does not count, in the event of a tie.

16 Meanwhile, "Gizmo is us" goes huge, and the founding partners of ABCE inc retires and become consultants to the think tank.

Postby key on the kite » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 am

key on the kite
Yellow Belt

The handling of the imagined situation sounds reasonable to me. Not so strict that rules would weigh down on the creativity of the group. Not so vague that there would be chaos.

Postby mojo62 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:03 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

Screw this! I think the whole project was a handled in an unscrupulous manner. Levi would have never even fathomed E without knowing about my D. I contacted my lawyer today and I will see you in court. :evil:

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:12 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Haa!!! :D

(An ethical lawyer would tell you that there's no way to know if patents for A, AB, and ABC had not been filed for. He or she would also tell you that there was nothing you could do to keep ABCE Inc from tightening down the the ap for Patent ABCE so that it only covers ABC, and gives Levi a free ride for cooperating.)

(An un-ethical lawyer would tell you the same thing, and take your money anyway.)

It's best to keep the money in the family, Mojo. :wink:

Are you ready to join? :P

Postby 5rocks » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:11 pm

5rocks
Green Belt

Scrup, Mojo.......Is there a list compiled of all that would like to participate? Once we all agree to the terms of the "club" we can get to work immediately. We all know that great inventions are spawned out of necessity. I think that the best way to go about suggesting ideas is to first suggest problems that need better solutions than what is currently on the market. Sorry, if I am repeating a prior idea as this is a super-long thread. My $.02 is the outdoor/automotive market. There are so many facets to it. My brain is churning. I need to stop typing.

Pat

Postby Scrupulous » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I hear ya, Pat. There are a number of concepts on other threads that could easily be channeled into this, also.

Let me get some simple terms of entry together, and post them on a new thread in this forum, which will serve as the gate.

Now's a good time for anyone to throw out some considerations that haven't yet been addressed (not that they will be included in the terms necessarily).

Postby mojo62 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

5rocks,
Scrup had mentioned a potential list of members. We will see in the next few days who joins. I'm just curious to see how big it will or should grow. In my opinion, too big would not be good but majority rules, I assume.

Scrup,
Thanks for taking the lead on all of this. It looks like the think tank may actually start. Oh, by the way big brother, or more likely little brother, the money will stay in the family. :wink:

Postby Levi Porter » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:00 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Scrupulous wrote:Now's a good time for anyone to throw out some considerations that haven't yet been addressed (not that they will be included in the terms necessarily).

Is I-Spot going to be able to use the "No Follow" and or "No Index" meta tag in the private forum? And keep RSS away.

Otherwise, all information will not only leak out, but be plagiarized throughout the world.

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:31 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

I'm assuming that they will, and they already have.

I will confirm with the webmaster.

In the meantime, hit this link and see if it takes you in...

Testing...1-2-3...Testing

Postby Levi Porter » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:42 pm

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

Scrupulous wrote:In the meantime, hit this link and see if it takes you in...

Testing...1-2-3...Testing

Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.
PreviousNext