FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, citizen

Private Forum Destroys "Latest Forum Discussions"

Postby minnesotainventor » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:04 pm

minnesotainventor
Blue Belt

I believe the overwhelming updates within the Private Forum distroys the list for Latest Forum Discussions on the home page. The sheer volume makes seeing a resent list of new forum discussions items for general public impossible.

Perhaps they should have their own list...and separated from general discussions, heck...they deserve it!

Trying to be a team player.

Steve Stark

Postby AmericanCynic » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:18 pm

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Yeah, I noted this a while back. Isn't it amazing that the private forum with all of nine members dominates the list? It's all activity by a very small group of people. Of all the forums I visit, I've never seen another that created a private, invitations-only section. It just seems like something that's attractive to some people because it's "exclusive." I mean, come on, is a topic named "Movie Madness" really so hush-hush secret that the general public shouldn't be in on it? It's becoming a bit of a ol' boys club. If it were a place where they were discussing confidential product ideas, I could see it being private, but I don't think they're talking about anything different from what's in the general forums.

We've fixed this issue

Postby admin » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:44 am

admin
Yellow Belt

Thanks for the suggestion. We did see this problem before, but didn't think the private messages would overwhelm that list.

The list on the home page should only display publicly available message now.

Roger Simmons

Postby makeworldbetter » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:45 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

Can't agree more
Now this is how it suppose to be.
Private forum member also citzen of this forum

Postby mojo62 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:39 am

mojo62
Black Belt

Hey Steve,

Yeah, I agree, that was a problem, I think that was fixed today
or yesterday. On another note,how's that new light source coming along. Got any updates. I had expressed interest in it to you before as a possible light source for one of my"prior" projects. We can talk about this in that "light thread".

Regards,
mojo

[Moderator comment

Hey Steve:

If you want to update, can you do it on a different thread as this is site problems thread. Thanks, Michelle]
Last edited by mojo62 on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Scrupulous » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:02 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Sorry, Michelle.

I just think it's fair that someone respond to this nonsense:

AmericanCynic wrote:Yeah, I noted this a while back. Isn't it amazing that the private forum with all of nine members dominates the list? It's all activity by a very small group of people. Of all the forums I visit, I've never seen another that created a private, invitations-only section. It just seems like something that's attractive to some people because it's "exclusive." I mean, come on, is a topic named "Movie Madness" really so hush-hush secret that the general public shouldn't be in on it? It's becoming a bit of a ol' boys club. If it were a place where they were discussing confidential product ideas, I could see it being private, but I don't think they're talking about anything different from what's in the general forums.

Well, gee A/C, if we were actually developing ideas, would you expect the publicized thread titles to describe the ideas themselves? Would you expect to see titles like...

Method for Preserving Illumination with an Electrified Filament

Seriously?

Let me ask you something. Do you even believe half the things you say? Or, do you just love money so much that you're willing to live with yourself?

I mean, which is it?

The real world would like to know.

Postby mojo62 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:18 am

mojo62
Black Belt

:wink:

Postby AmericanCynic » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:43 am

AmericanCynic
Yellow Belt

Scrupulous wrote:Well, gee A/C, if we were actually developing ideas, would you expect the publicized thread titles to describe the ideas themselves? Would you expect to see titles like...

Method for Preserving Illumination with an Electrified Filament

Seriously?

Come on. Get over yourself. Do you really think it's clever to come up with nondescript titles for threads? So what if people saw a headline in Edison's day about methods for "preserving illumination with an electrified filament"? Who didn't know he was working on that? So were lots of other people, but nobody else knew how to make it work. Sorry, but on forums, I get pissed when I see some moron name a thread something like "I need help" or "Would this work?" Whether you have access to the thread or not, it's too damn difficult to remember if you already tried to read the umpteenth "I need help" thread, enough so that I avoid reading such threads. Look at the millions of titles of patents already granted. They're usually quite descriptive, yet I defy anyone to figure out just what the process of the invention is just from the title.

Postby Road Show » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:24 am

Road Show
Brown Belt

Speaking only for myself, I resent AC's insinuation that the private forums are attractive to it's members because of it's exclusivity. Actually, when you look at what a person posts, you tend to see more about about the poster than those the poster is writing about. Feeling a little left out are ya, AC?

I joined with a great deal of skepticism...a lot of which still remains to be resolved...but I will say this, it's amazing what other inventor types are willing to discuss when they are given an opportunity to keep the lurkers out. Could it be any other way??

Before you make assumptions and accusations regarding the motivations of the members of the private forums, take a good look at yourself. What I see is a person who has very little encouragement to offer other members, but a lot of unsolicited advice.

Not trying to start a fight here, but I have to say I much prefer Steve Stark's attitude to AC's.

RSG

Postby mojo62 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:58 am

mojo62
Black Belt

No further comment needed from me after this one.

Intellent levels have already spoken for themselves here, no :?:

Anyway, the private forum topic are no longer displayed, better for you and better for us. 8)

Happy inventing and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Regards,
mojo