FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

FAQ: I can't afford a patent. Can I just copyright my idea?

Postby CriterionD » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:03 am

CriterionD
Blue Belt

FAQ: I can't easily afford a patent. Can I just copyright my idea instead?

Postby CriterionD » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:05 am

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Copyright law protects sufficiently creative works of art – including, but not necessarily limited to - literary, musical, and graphical works. It does not protect "utilitarian" products.

If you describe your invention in writing, copyright protection will generally be automatic. This will have the potential to protect against others directly copying your description of your invention.

However, your “copyright” will not do anything to prevent others from writing their own description of your invention, nor will it do anything to prevent others from making, using, or selling your invention. Registering your copyright will not change this, either.

provisional patent protection level?

Postby createit » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 am

createit
White Belt

It seems to me that if the wording in a patent is supremely important, so it is for a provisional patent. Writing the provisional oneself could lead to holes? The provisional is said to protect for a year, but if it's presented insufficiently complete, more harm than good may be done?

ma'am