FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

my prototype is finished

Postby CableGuy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:14 pm

CableGuy
White Belt

Hello Forum,
3 months ago I came up with an idea to reduce the amount of time and work involved with one aspect of my job. I have built this tool. It works the way that I want; besides the scope is smaller in the application than in the theory.
According to my boss and the small few of people that are in my line of work, that I have talked to, this is a very marketable tool that many people would benefit from.
I haven't spent a lot of time searching for other patents, one is close but the basic ideas are very much different.
What's next?

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Hey CableGuy,

A lot depends on the terms of your employment agreement, if there is one. But, if the item gives your company a distinct advantage, keep it a trade secret for now.

If you'd own the rights to it, yourself, then file a comprehensive US provisional, and make a public disclosure shortly afterward. Depending on how easy it is to manufacture, that'll light a fire under many asses.

Good luck to ya,

Scrupulous

Postby CableGuy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:38 pm

CableGuy
White Belt

Thanks Scrupulous

I have checked my employment agreement and it looks like I'm in the clear.

I have been reading about the Patent laws and have heard the horror stories about persons redesigning patents and then making money off of them. When filing a comprehensive US provisional do I need to be as general with this application as I would be with a Patent?(teach me to fish) also should I mention the single(or the only one that I have found) other patent that is close to my idea?

Lighting fires is fun :D How do I find those persons interesed?

Provisional Patents, and patents in general

Postby WadeSun » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:04 am

WadeSun
White Belt

Answering your question, you should be specific in your provisional patent, since no new matter can be added if you later decide to file a utility patent and claim the provisional patent's earlier filing date (1 year is the deadline). Too general, and the examiner will cite many prior art references against you, you need to make your invention patentably distinct. You should think of all the embodiments that are possible with your invention, and have them in your description as well as the drawings and figures for them. If you want to learn to prepare the patent application on your own, I recommend David Pressman's "Patent It Yourself" book. Or hire a professional to write it for you. I have written quite a few provisionals, utility, and design patents for both myself and fellow inventors, it does take some experience, let me know if you have any more specific questions. :lol:
Wade@sunzag.com
<p>Wade Sun, SunZag LLC.</p><p><a href="http://www.disceraser.com/">www.DiscEraser.com</a>  Why shred? Recycle instead!</p>

Postby makeworldbetter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:42 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

I would write up something really close to a utility patent but a little free on detail ends.
Think carefully on your claims. Try to get them right at first filing, the provisional or not.