FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, citizen

do you have to leave your family on this show?

Postby jrose » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:38 pm

jrose
White Belt

Does anyone know if you have to leave your family if you are selected for this show?

I have a great baby idea but I have a 7 month old that I'm not in a position to leave for any length of time like they do for American Inventor.

I don't want to drag my baby and husband to the casting call if I would have to leave them for the final process if my idea was selected.

Any insight on my question would save me a lot of hastle and heartbreak.

Thanks!!!

Postby kiskom » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:47 pm

kiskom
White Belt

I have been one of the fortunate inventors to be chosen for season two. In regard to your question the answer is no, you don't have to leave your family for any extended amount of time. EE will fly you to North Carolina for the day to complete filming. They will even try to work around your schedule. In fact, I am scheduled for my second trip in January. So if you believe that you have a great idea then I recommend that you go for it and Good Luck!

Mary

re: leaving your family

Postby jrose » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm

jrose
White Belt

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the response.

I actually wouldn't really be able to leave my baby any longer than a few hours since he's nursing.

My thought is that they wouldn't allow me to have him there period. I could travel with him though.

Any additional thoughts on that???

Postby citizen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm

citizen
Brown Belt

Mary

Which inventor were you and what was your product?

I'm going to audition in Boston in May and was wondering what advice and insight you could give us to give us an edge...other than our product of course.

Jason

Postby kiskom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:42 pm

kiskom
White Belt

Hi Jrose,

If you absolutely need to bring the baby to the auditions, then I would suggest bringing another caregiver with you. EE is very professional and accommodating. They probably would allow you to go into another waiting room or the lady's room to feed the baby. Although, it is a long day if you make it to the green room for filming. If you can get a ababysitter for the day I would do that instead. This would allow you more time to focus on your audition. My audition started at 5am. and I left at 430pm. It was a long day. I hope this info helps you.

Good luck!

Mary

Postby kiskom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:01 pm

kiskom
White Belt

Hi Jason,

I am on the second season of EE. I invented a dog leash product.

My advice for you is to practice your audition. I was very prepared and organized in what I wanted to say. Explain the benefits of your product including, who will use it, estimated cost, and where your product can be sold. Wow them Jason with your presentation. Having a prototype may also be helpful and it provides a visual aid for the judges.
Don't worry, they are extemely professional and have a nice way of putting you at ease. They are not looking to make fun of you.

Good luck!

Mary

Postby Billykub » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Billykub
White Belt

Mary,
You said your day started at 5AM. In ATL this weekend it says registration starts at 7AM. How early do people start lining up?
Thanks,
Lisa

Postby kiskom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:37 pm

kiskom
White Belt

Lisa,

I believe the Inventors started to arrive around 6am. When the doors did finally open I would estimate around 100-200 inventors. Don't worry, Everyday Edisons is extremely organized and very capable of managing large volume of people. They are committed to seeing every invention as long as you don't arrive too late in the day.

Best of luck!

Mary

Postby Mrsb » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:24 am

Mrsb
White Belt

Hi there and thank you for posting this! To Kiskom, may I ask a couple of questions?
My sister and I went to the Jan.12 Atlanta auditions and we went in front of the tv judges and we recieved the "congratulations" letter that states "all finalists" will be notified by July 31 once the review is complete. We did not hear anyone say that we would be contacted in "6 to 8 weeks"
When you were chosen, how long did it take to get your notification? or did you know right away? thank you so much and I hope you see this question.

Also, how is your product doing now after having been signed? Are you in major stores or websites? TIA

Postby Average Inventor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 am

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

I'm assuming since season 2 hasn't aired yet they aren't at liberty to share that type of information and also I would doubt that it's in stores yet as they normally wait till the last show to give the update. Lastly they haven't finished filming season 2 (I don't think).
Next