FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Michelle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:20 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

bottleslingguy wrote::shock: !!! Ouch!

First of all, I want to know why Roger is a yellow belt and I'm only a white belt? I've been here waaay longer than him. What's the criteria for this belt status thingy? :?

You are lower as you do not have as many postings in the Forums. These are foum status rankings.

Umm, we just implemented a suggestion by an Inventor that if we put up levels, that people would have an easier time knowing who the people they were talking to were.

We are trying out the belt thing, like martial arts, but also levels of Six Sigma managment philosophies...as inventors need to be both warriors and businesspeople. We also got the suggestion to have levels be the great American Inventors...so I don't know what people will like better.

Feedback?

Postby Michelle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

bottleslingguy wrote:
Secondly, Michelle, the last thing I want to do is make you guys out to be something you're not. I never said you guys were ripping off inventors. I even said I'm using the site for my own self-promotion by giving advice and sharing my experiences to inventors. This site (as I've said before) is a godsend. It's invaluable to struggling inventors, me included. I am eternally greatful for this opportunity AND acknowledge what a deal it is. You CAN'T FIND A DEAL LIKE THIS ANYWHERE ELSE! The time and effort put into this undertaking is commendable.

What I was saying was that this whole inventor help phenomenon is interesting to me. I said it wasn't all a bad thing, it's just interesting. Maybe this is the key? Maybe inventor guild-type communal support is what we need? Keep in mind, it won't make a poor invention better than it is but it can be an invaluable teaching tool and source of peer support.

I do not need you to say nice things on our site to us. Go tell someone else and bring them here. I want your help to build this site.

This site will be what inventors want it to be. If inventors help and make this site more fun, interesting and full of valuable info for inventors and thus more popular, than it can be a true "godsend" for inventors.

Over the summer, we approached a few companies that partner with inventors to try to have them look at the inventions in our gallery, perhaps work with us in picking items they may want to review, etc. They pretty much ignored us or told us to come back when we grow up.

If we get REALLY successful and thus have influence in the industry, we will no longer be ignored. We will have ccess to the people inventors want to talk to and get stuff for them that any individual inventor alone cannot get.

If we can get REALLY popular, people will come to us.
We are making progress but we have so far to go.

If you would help tell your family and friends about us as a great fun site, we can use our growing reputation to make a difference in inventor lives by making what is now hard easy.

We don't want to be a mere information and support site for inventors. Aren't there already a million out there that no one goes to visit?

Our vision is to make the process of inventing for independent inventors easier and more fun.

Imagine...

cool databases with track records of companies that license from independent inventors that you can contact about your invention with a mere click of a button.

a webstore where all the inventors who cannot support their own web business get together and market their inventions together...an inventor commune with the coolest collection of inventions out there, with bulk pricing and discounts.

licensing meetings virtually with real companies genuinely interested in your invention

free commercials for your invention in a top 1000 traffic website to tell the world about your invention.

and on and on and on

So BottleSling, its up to you and to other inventors.

How many articles from our site did you email to people and tell them to check us out?
How many times have you posted in the comments and forums on other sites you visit, a link to a good article you found on our site.
How many people have you personally asked to visit this site?

If its not many times, then please do it. Help us get people to come to our site.

This is the only place on the web as far as I know where inventors have impact. We are already in the top 75,000 or so most popular websites in the world. If we could be in the top 1000, can you imagine how many people would know about your invention?

So work with us...please. Don't say nice things on our site about us. Go and do it somewhere else...and convince them that we have stuff they should read.

And if we don't have it, tell us and we will get it. Tell us what we need to do to become more fun, more interesting, more cool....someplace you look forward to checking out every day.

Thanks,
Michelle

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:10 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Does it really matter who has been here the longest. What should matter is the contribution we each make to the site.

: )
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby bottleslingguy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:47 pm

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Have a YouTube type inventor's gallery. That way people can send in a two-minute pitch. AIspot should have a video "pitch your invention" section. THAT may prove much more entertaining, and the self promotion aspect would be enormous. Of course you couldn't charge users, that would ruin it right there, because those with the most money would have a monopoly. If I made a video and you guys exposed it, it could work out well for everyone involved even those who just come for the wacky passion of the deluded, penniless, desparate and brutally honest inventors. The most popular videos would be a testament to those that are popular and those which are not. The site would be putting inventors right out there in front of the most important judges, pitchmen can pitch their advice... oh wait, then how would they make money?

Roger can send in a pitch and sell whatever it is he is selling at the time. :lol: I can pitch my slings...??? forget the show!!! The site would allow users (those who send in pitches) to talk as if in person and show off their wares. People could send in fake inventions, ideas and even actually patented inventions or something that is properly protected in some way and THEN I would have something to send to someone. People could comment on the videos, give advice on the invention, etc. Because as of right now, the inventor's gallery section on the site is pretty b-o-r-i-n-g. :shock: It could be better than AI.

So now Michelle replies, "We don't have the money to do that. That's why you need to advertize us to your friends." and I'll say, "To be brutally honest, I don't have any friends." and hopefully then you'll start laughing :lol: and the tension will subside between you and I. But seriously, as of right now this site has a halflife of around twenty seconds per day and that's by an avid self-promoter like myself. You need something more to hold the viewers' attention that ultimately turns towards your ads.

Oh and Roger, it's no big deal to me either. I was just clearing up any misconceptions you may've had. :wink:

self promoter

Postby Roger Brown » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:12 pm

Roger Brown
Black Belt

Bottleslingguy you are a mystery to me. On one side you praise the site and the help they give Inventors for free. Then the next sentence you comdemm the site for not providing enough to keep your attention.
You have more mood swings than a pregnant woman. No offense to any pregnant Inventors out there.

If you are having such a conflict with the site why do you come back daily?
Come visit my sites at http://www.RogerBrown.net
or http://www.looking2license.com
I have gotten 9 products licensed spending less than $100 on each, you can too.

Postby Michelle » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

Getting people to post on You-tube and then playing You-Tube videos on our site is not something we are interested in....as they get all rights to the videos, and all we are is a shill for their site.

We already have built custom video capability ... but with all the stuff we are working on, it has not been a priority to have it go live yet.

I will raise your suggestion at our management meeting to possibly get a tested and finished version of it customized and up for ISpotTV but in terms of priorities, I think it has to wait.

So you don't think we are filled with BS with your natural skepticism. if you want to use the pre-Beta version of the video program and try it out, go to VroomVideo.com.

http://www.vroomvideo.com/vroom/

All you need is a webcam and you can record instantly with no uploading and nothing else needed. It will take about 1 click to record a video and 1 click to send it or post it anywhere.

It's in rough form so the instructions don't match the buttons, etc. but its so obvious a caveman could do it.

If you or anyone make a good video using VroomVideo.com, I will add it to your Invention Gallery posting. If it's good enough, we'll even post it on the site front page (after getting the site able to handle traffic) and send it to the producers of American Inventor.

So VroomVideo (or what we will be calling ISpotTV) is one of the cool tools for inventors in the works. Really cool, right?

Do your part to help promote the site and donate your time and energy and we will do ours to create crazy sick cool stuff for inventors that you can only dream about.

No tension BottleSling. :)

I already got over it.

I agree with BottleSling that we need to do better in terms of content to keep folks interested and engaged. It's a work in progress. But tell me, what type of content should we have to get folks coming back againand again to the site? You should be seeing a slow improvement in content every day. What are we doing right and wrong?

Michelle

PS- video hosting is extremely expensive...so if we are not able to support a basic content site, I don't know how we can afford yet to support a video site....so another reason it's not publicized yet.

Postby bottleslingguy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:17 am

bottleslingguy
Black Belt

Whew! I'm glad the tension thing is over. 8) I'm not trying to be an ass (it just comes naturally, I guess), but YOU ASKED. I'll have to go back over what Michelle was talking about to fully understand the whole video thing (I'm a close relative of the caveman, so don't give me too much credit), but I'm sure the site would rock :!: if people could post videos of their invention related antics. I don't mean post on YouTube and then link from here. I mean this site would support the videos. It could even do that and hold the copyright to our videos. That would be compensation for AIspot and eliminate any possible infringement lawsuits.

Why would we need AI? Why would you send them the videos? Screw them. The passionate, wacky inventor schtick would be here 24/7. Why would we need some phoney judges when the public could decide? THEY are the ones who may ultimately buy our wares, so we should rely on them to tell us what they want. Personally, I would make it a priority.

I DO love this site, it's near and dear to my heart, but that doesn't mean all my friends feel the same way. You guys know what a tough crowd internet surfers are, they are very fickle and will switch alliances overnight. One minute they love something and the next it's yesterday's news. They are selfish and if something doesn't tickle their fancy within one half-nanosecond they are gone. And let's face it, most of us are here for some sort of self-promotion anyway.

"Outsiders" for lack of a better term, need something ENTERTAINING. You need those people to make the bulk of the traffic here, like dark matter. You don't see them but you know they're out there floating around holding the whole AIspot universe together. The inventors will get what they want, the promoters will get their share, Thinks and Michelle can line their greedy pockets :P and the random public will have something to send their Uncle Charley to make him laugh or say, "Wow! I want one of those things!"

Michelle, I knew you'd bring up the, "We don't have the cash..." excuse. Believe me, I hear you.

Roger, it's not mood swings that lead me in these seemingly contrary ways, it's where the truth takes me. I can love something and still recognize not everyone else does. You have to be able to stand back and look at things objectively in order to have clear perspective and understanding. I'm not saying I'm the only one with that ability, but come on, you should know that. :roll: And I already told you why I keep coming back, I'm an avid self-promoter.

Postby Contextion » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Contextion
Blue Belt

I trying to invent a macro to click ads real fast so I can contribute to the site. It is all I can afford right now but once I can get my invention produced I will definitely contribute more. My macro may work too fast and you will get a million before I do. ;o)

Postby Average Inventor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm

Average Inventor
Brown Belt

Contextion,

I don't think the forum is interested in click fraud. Anyone who would seriously support that needs to distance themselves from serious and honest inventors who are trying to contribute.

Postby Michelle » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:01 pm

Michelle
Black Belt

PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON ADS SOLELY TO GIVE REVENUES TO THE SITE.

WE DO NOT WANT ANY CLICK FRAUD AND HAVE NO INTEREST IN FALSELY INFLATING OUR REVENUES.

Please please do not click on ads with some sort of macro. That is ultimately a form of stealing and that is not something we are interested in.

Contextion, we very much appreciate your sentiment for supporting this site. Thank you for wanting to help us.

If you are genuinely interested or curious about the ads or advertisers on our site, we appreciate your visiting them, but please do not visit our advertisers to artificially inflate our numbers.

That's not fair to our advertisers and also will harm us in the long run as advertisers will not trust us.

We try to do our best to be as fair and honest as possible with everyone we deal with. That includes our advertisers. So please, no fraudulent click, ok?

Thanks so much,

Michelle and rest of AmericanInventorSpot.com Team

:D
PreviousNext