FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Helicopter using Lawn Mower Engine

Postby Xclopse » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:42 am

Xclopse
White Belt

I had an idea, since we know how a helicopter works with a gear on the motor and a gear on the pole of the blades, which makes it spin - would it be possible to use a lawnmower engine and create the helicopter body out of light-weight wood material?

The helicopter would have the engine upright like a lawnmower bolted to the frame, then have a gear welded onto the shaft of the lawnmower blade, and weld another gear on a 10-foot pole and place the spinning pole and motor gears together to make it possible to spin above the engine.

I would really love to try this but i dont know if its possible with a normal 5-10 Horsepower motor. :oops: :lol:

Postby key on the kite » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:58 am

key on the kite
Yellow Belt

There must be formulae somewhere which would help you to estimate if the lawnmower would make enough power to lift some weight. My guess is that a lawnmower engine would not be powerful enough for a helicopter. Would be fun just to try it eh? :) What about a hovercraft? I bet a lawnmower could lift a small one.

Postby CriterionD » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:29 pm

CriterionD
Blue Belt

Perhaps the engine described in expired US Patent 3,956,888 - a "coaxial rotary engine" - could be utilized here.

"It may be built small enough to run a lawn mower, motorcycle, small fishing boat, or home generator, or large enough to power an airplane, a helicopter..."

Link

Postby makeworldbetter » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:56 pm

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

using lawnmower motor give you a bad start.

too heavy and not enough power

Postby Archeryrob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:03 pm

Archeryrob
White Belt

makeworldbetter wrote:using lawnmower motor give you a bad start.

too heavy and not enough power

What he said. Motors for this application would most likely be an aluminum block motor with steel sleeves for the pistons. The more weight you reduce the less lift you need.

Postby Scrupulous » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Are you guys thinkin what I'm thinkin, though...a hovercraft mower?

Postby key on the kite » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:27 pm

key on the kite
Yellow Belt

Scrupulous wrote:Are you guys thinkin what I'm thinkin, though...a hovercraft mower?

Looks like someone beat you to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flymo

who would have thought, though :lol:

Postby Scrupulous » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Hey that's my mom.

Postby DannyB » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:34 pm

DannyB
Green Belt

When this post was first put up I wondered if it was even for real, meaning a serious post or a joke.

With over forty years of mowing our yard, since I was a kid until now, I can't count the times that the mower has died and wouldn't start. A million+ dollar Bell Jet Ranger is dangerous enough, and you would trust a junky lawn mower engine with your life???

Postby mojo62 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:53 am

mojo62
Black Belt

Scrup, Scrup, :shock:

That's my Mom too :!:

We're brothers :o

Seriously though, don't you think everything under the sun has been tried with a lawn mower engine. You would think so, wouldn't you ?
Next