FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Any ideas for stacking kitchen pot lids?

Postby BrettJ » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 am

BrettJ
White Belt

Does anyone have a good design for storing pot lids in a kitchen cabinet? The knobs that stick up in the middle make then hard to stack, and storing them "on edge" doesn't work so well either (unless I build vertical dividers between them). I haven't put my mind to this yet; I'd love to see someone else's diagram.

BTW, this isn't for commercialization, just for my own use. Thanks!

Pot lids

Postby Myra Per-Lee » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Myra Per-Lee
White Belt

Lying them down IS a problem. I turn mine upside down in the pots themselves, but that's not very efficient. If you have room to stand them up, use a standing dish rack. They come with enough room for the tops to stick out without interfering with the lid next in line.
Myra Per-Lee
Featured Blogger
InventorSpot.com

Postby BrettJ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:56 pm

BrettJ
White Belt

Great idea! Thanks! (That was my first post on InventorSpot. I'm happy to have found other creative, think-outside-the-box people like myself.)

Postby steelxenon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:11 pm

steelxenon
White Belt

if there were plastic rings you could stack on top of the lid, which gave the same opening as the pot you put them on, you could just stack them all up safely

Postby BrettJ » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:26 pm

BrettJ
White Belt

Shoot, that's a great idea! I told my wife, and she said "What if you want one from the bottom?" I wouldn't mind, myself. That's just smart!

Makes me think of another idea: a "lid shelf", which has a flat base, a rod sticking straight up from one edge, and some tuning-fork shaped things sticking out from the rod parallel with the base.

|________ tuning-fork
|________ tuning-fork
|________ tuning-fork
|________ tuning-fork
|
|___________ base

The reason for the tuning fork / wishbone shape is that you can store lids upside down, with the handle in between the two tines. (That may be overkill.)

Another option that could use the same diagram: instead of tuning-fork / wishbones, actually have thin shelves that have a slot in the middle of each. You store lids with the knobs on the top, and the knob of each lid slides through the slot of the shelf above it.

Heck, I might even build a prototype and put it on my YouTube channel! If I do I'll add a link to this forum thread.

Postby steelxenon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:25 pm

steelxenon
White Belt

the idea with the rings was actually meant to be a small plastic simulation of the pot they sit inside of, maybe a different design for universal use (with any lids) so they actually sit on top of the ring with the lid nestled in it, just like it would on top of the pot

oh yeah, even better. Lid shelf, U shaped with a slot down the middle so you can put the handle/knob facing down... just pull one out when you need it... maybe using a pole in the back that could be adjustable, with screw down tightners on each shelf so you can customize each shelf's height for use with different lids.

But what about really big or small lids?
Last edited by steelxenon on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby steelxenon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:34 pm

steelxenon
White Belt

maybe a better idea to use less materials would be to use metal/plastic rings that could have adjustable diameters (but you'd need 2 or 3 support poles or the rings would just bend and break) then you could slide some sliders on the base to adjust the size of the whole thing and make each shelf/ring bigger... but that might be a bit too complicated...

or even a knob you turn in the center of the base that would turn a gear that turns a screw which unscrews itself or tightens, to make the legs of the base extend or contract, then the adjustable rings would be similar to hose clamps used in cars or plumbing and would just be an overlapped flat band of plastic (with structural strength shapes in it and a little belt loop type thing at the end to keep it from flapping out, maybe a lid shaped edge on the top) then the bracket on each ring for the lids could have the same screw knob design on one of the support poles so you could enable the bracket to extend away from the support pole to make each ring adjustable to different sizes

ta-da, combined both our ideas heh, pot stacker lids + lid shelf

Postby steelxenon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:56 pm

steelxenon
White Belt

or use the idea you came up with, and have one of those extendo-things... you know it looks like XXXXXXXO has a claw at the end etc...

make a pedal or button on the bottom that pulls the two end legs together to extend the entire thing, put each shelf on a segment of the extender and when you push the button, you can add/remove lids, then let it go and they all collapse together to maximize space... little more complex than that

that would be the support pole, each segment could expand evenly, maybe have a lock button and a carrying handle on top so you could take it out of the cupboard without everything falling out

maybe use that whole support pole idea in conjunction with the expandable rings/base ... got a pretty decked out pot lid holder LOL

Postby BrettJ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 am

BrettJ
White Belt

I wish InventorSpot let you upload pictures! Verbal descriptions are usually either
1) long, or
2) unclear
I guess links to pictures or videos (Flickr, YouTube) would work. Anyway -->

I like your ideas to let user adjust the shelving! The XXXXXXXO extender thing is particularly clever. (They're typically kind of flimsy....)

I think slots will work better than rings. Slots allow you to slide a lid onto the shelf from the front. And I'm thinking the knob of each lid could stick up through the slot of the shelf above it. The lid on that upper shelf, since the bottom is concave, would fit over the knob of the one underneath -- like stacking bowls, but upside down. That makes it tough to pull out the lid that's above -- you'll have to lift the front lip to slide it out.

The spacing between shelves could be adjustable, but for a consumer product I wouldn't expect that. I'd make the bottom three shelves for big lids, the next three for medium lids, and the top three for small lids. (Or something like that.) And two different models: one entirely for big lids, and one entirely for small lids.

These are all educated speculation; I've never sold a consumer product. (I'm just a consumer, and I'm picturing the products at Bed Bath & Beyond!)

Postby makeworldbetter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:36 am

makeworldbetter
Black Belt

BrettJ wrote:I wish InventorSpot let you upload pictures! Verbal descriptions are usually either
1) long, or
2) unclear
I guess links to pictures or videos (Flickr, YouTube) would work. Anyway -->

Yes you can, look for "Upload picture" tab
Next