FAQ  •   Login  •   Register  •   Subscribe 

Welcome to the Forum for InventorSpot.com, the most popular invention related website in the world. Read our welcome message.

Skip to content

Moderators: Michelle, Scrupulous, Roger Brown, citizen

Postby Daddyventor » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Daddyventor
White Belt

Hello all,

I've been out of town for a couple of days with no internet. I have not had time to read all of the posts but I would be interested after reading the fine print.

As far as board or no board, after having my own business for 12 years I can guarantee that someone has to be incharge. If there's a smaller group working, someone has to be incharge of the group. (Moderator if you will).

Now about getting other inventors to come to us. I don't know about the rest of you but my notebooki is about an inch thick and about to create a second volumn. Not saying all ideas are good but I'm sure there are a few right off and others which could be improved on. A lot of my ideas come from hearing others talk sometimes about nothing at all, maybe even totally unrelated to my new idea. That's think tank / brainstorming.

As I said, I'm in depending on fine print, and strictly on what I've read on this forum I nominate Scrup, and Michelle as leaders.

Curt

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:55 pm

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Thanks, Curt. I appreciate that.

Yeah, I don't mind doing it either. And I think we're headed in that general direction, anyway. (I strongly feel that being able to post images freely on this site would be a necessity of convenience, though) But, it's important for those of us who would like to partake in it, to get used to the idea of trusting in a group.

Postby mojo62 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:46 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

I think we should just invent something right here, out in the open, for all to participate including I-Spot people.

We pick a need, invent the result, I-Spot gets all the royalty (if any) to do whatever is needed for the web site.

If the income is excessive, ISpot can distribute cash to key contributors of thier choice without anyone knowing who got what, if anything.

I have a need to contribute, we can hit it fast and furious and have the invention finished quickly.

All the proof of who invented the device will be right here. Scrup may be willing to do the provisional application and the patent app. We can help with this also.

50 words approx. or less on each submitted addition to the invention.

Think tanks can spin off after this is over.

How about it ?

Postby mojo62 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:15 pm

mojo62
Black Belt

I think it might be a good idea for everyone who wants to participate throw in a need. But, not make this a requirement to participate. This would be done just to get enough ideas to be able to choose a good, best or most feasible one.

MO

What is the official satus?

Postby Levi Porter » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:44 am

Levi Porter
Brown Belt

I would first like to say that I think this concept is great ! :D

I wish you the best of success.

How far along are you guys with this?

Is it too late to ask to participate?

I'll gladly offer my abilities if there is still an opportunity.

I always have security concerns. I am always thinking about what an unscrupulous person with a lot of money and knowledge could do.

One example or question I have for you guys, is what security or encryption protocols have been established to offset someone that is in the group, accessing the think tank from an unsecured or vulnerable computer?

Hope this works well for you.

Will there be progress reports to the open forum for those not involved?

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:07 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

mojo62 wrote:I think it might be a good idea for everyone who wants to participate throw in a need. But, not make this a requirement to participate. This would be done just to get enough ideas to be able to choose a good, best or most feasible one.

MO

I like your thinking on this, Mo.

I would definitely be willing to prosecute the patent, if I was one of the named inventors, or if I was otherwise compensated. I don't know about arbritrarily assigning all rights away (not that I don't appreciate everything about this site). It would be up to the inventors of a particular innovation to decide that.

One thing I can foresee is a need to guarantee agreement on a course of action, once an application has been filed. It's better if that guarantee was in place prior to any cooperative effort. My impression is that any decision on the future of a given project would need to be made by its inventors unanimously. For the time being, unanimous decisions are appropriate, as no individual concern ought to be dismissed before careful consideration. Unanimousness may also increase the likelihood that any decisions made would remain binding. But without a pre-agreement, each inventor would be free to pursue licensing on their own, and that's too much of a risk to ignore. In other words, we would all need to agree to sign a joint-ownership agreement, which stipulates a unanimous vote before any IP rights would be exercised. A joint ownership agreement can be enacted at the time of filing for a patent.

The inventors of a given project can decide on prototyping, solid modeling, licensing, manufacturing, marketing, and so on. Others here who would like a stake in revenues can offer their services, in return for a share. That share could be established by the inventors, as a percentage of gross revenue minus total cost of approved materials and expenses. Naturally, a return on investment may not be realized until after sales have been generated.

It should be mentioned that anyone who participates without expressing a willingness to enter a joint agreement prior to filing for IP rights, would not be named as an inventor. Other than that, I don't see anything else that would need to be established before beginning this openly.

Re: What is the official satus?

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:25 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Levi Porter wrote:...How far along are you guys with this?

Is it too late to ask to participate?

I'll gladly offer my abilities if there is still an opportunity.

I always have security concerns. I am always thinking about what an unscrupulous person with a lot of money and knowledge could do.

One example or question I have for you guys, is what security or encryption protocols have been established to offset someone that is in the group, accessing the think tank from an unsecured or vulnerable computer? ...

Levi, we had gotten quite close to a cooperative effort a few months back. There were a lot of good suggestions being discussed. Ironically, that caused a roadblock. It makes more sense for someone to take the lead, at least until it gets up and running.

You are more than welcome to participate, and so is anyone else at this site. I think we're much closer to the point where the capabilities on this site, as well as the knowledge base and potential contributors, can push something like this over the top. The more personal experience and contacts we network, the more capability we will share.

I have no concerns about security whatsoever. Right now is a good time to enjoy the rights that the US Laws provide. I would personally love to see anyone attempt to misappropriate any intellectual property developed here. Security and encryption protocols are not necessary for what we're suggesting. The power is in witnessing ideas. It doesn't matter if anyone would try to take what is not theirs. They could never prove that they actually owned it. Hence, there is nothing they could gain by it.

Whoever else is interested, now's a good time to start stepping forward.

Postby mojo62 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am

mojo62
Black Belt

As in many past discussions, we discussed how to form the tank and how it should be structured and what not and so forth. We also talked about open forums as well as private. I (we) formed some individual groups that will get some things done in the future.

My thought was to openly do the first one here, out in the open and have I-Spot be the sole owner. A "think tank test" if you will. I'm really not interested in any compensation from the "open" invention.

If need be, you could be compensated for the patent prosecution or we can probably have it mostly written here as we go along. I believe it could be a good learning experience for all involved.

After the first project, we can have several think tanks spin off from this.

I read an article recently about bump keys and what a growing and immediate problem this is. Basically, bump keys are a device or special key that thieves are using to break into houses without leaving a trace.
You can search and find articles on these devices. It is a rapidly growing problem in the North Texas area.

This is an example of one need for a think tank to solve. A bump key (use) prevention device. Maybe something like this is something you bright individuals could solve together.

I'll start another thread on bump keys.

Postby Scrupulous » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:11 am

Scrupulous
Black Belt

Mo, if you want I-spot to have your rights, you would have to assign the rights to it.

A common misconception among inventors with altruistic intentions is that they can help others benefit by publicly disclosing an idea. That doesn't work because the inventor would have to acquire the rights in order to safely assign them. By "dedicating" an idea to the public, or to a certain cause, what you do is drastically reduce the chances that anyone will benefit from it, especially the intended recipient(s). Sometimes people do it to keep it out of the hands of corporations. But, by simply releasing an interest, it just makes it that much more likely that a major corporation will capitalize on it.

This boils down to business decisions, one way or another. Anyone who would want to donate their rights to someone else has to own the rights first. There's no point in suggesting that everyone agree to do that, because it will always be up to the individual inventor anyway. It's not a good enough reason to discourage anyone right from the start. It's best to allow individuals to decide for themselves what to get from the process. And, it also makes sense to practice what will be done in a private forum.

Postby mojo62 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:50 am

mojo62
Black Belt

O.K. Scrup, I'm willing to go along with whatever needs to be gone along with.

We had so much trouble before trying to get many participants to agree on
best methods and nothing ever panned out. I was trying to find a way to avoid all the hashing out.

Although, we were reasonably close ! :wink:
PreviousNext